Author Topic: Recommendations for a paid for or free tree builder  (Read 4770 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Recommendations for a paid for or free tree builder
« on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, when I first joined up to Find My Past numerous years ago I bought 'Pay as you go' as I did family research in dribs and drabs and the credits lasted for one year, which suited me fine. Then they changed it to lasting for 3 months. Now they have announced that if you do not have a subscription or current 'Pay as you go' (I often let mine lapse until I want to do more research) then you will not be able to access 'My Records'. I have a feeling that next in line will be my family tree which you won't be able to access unless you are paying money to them.
So I think it may be time to own my tree and be able to have total control over it. I know this subject was raised a couple of years ago but new things come along and others improve, so can anyone recommend a paid for or free program?
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a paid for or free tree builder
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

There are several "local" programs out there.  I use Family Tree Maker for the very reason you mentioned.  FTM synchs with Ancestry so you get the power of Ancestry searching with the control you desire.  Just a thought.
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
FTM synchs with Ancestry so you get the power of Ancestry searching with the control you desire. 

I have FTM 2006 (bought disc) i.e. not downloaded which I have installed on several comps/laptops at different times over the yrs to do portable research but it doesn't sync with Ancestry anymore!

I believe the same thing with more up-to-date FTM syncs with Ancestry is only if you have a subscription although I'm not sure?

I would recommend a bought disc rather than downloaded as it can be installed on any comp/laptop.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
That is true.  Both FTM and Ancestry are paid products but they serve my needs.
 :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
So I think it may be time to own my tree and be able to have total control over it. I know this subject was raised a couple of years ago but new things come along and others improve, so can anyone recommend a paid for or free program?

The other thing with buying a disc is, you don't have to be 'online' to add content & I've noticed there may be a limit as to the amount of generations you can download from a free online tree?

Having your own disc will allow you to upload/download gedcoms to/from anywhere/anytime with no limits.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Before you do anything else, please ensure that you have a full copy of the main detail of those on your tree residing on your "home" computer, and separate backups. . . . . .
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 18 03:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who replied, can you get the discs to load onto your computer now? all the sites I looked at just offer the downloading option, I think it is the way they operate now. Same as my internet security, I pay, they send me a product code and I download the program.

I looked at Family Tree Maker 2017, Family Historian 6, Legacy 9, RootsMagic 7 & Family Tree Heritage 9 and Family Historian 6 looked the best for my requirements as it is a UK product, suitable for UK historians (which is me) and also it links in with Find My Past, which I use. Of course all these products have so many applications for you to use, same as mobile phones nowadays, you only use a fraction of what they have to offer, I have no need for colour coordination families and I have yet to find a same sex marriage in my ancestors. Maybe I might try the free version first which has just the basics and then I can upgrade to the paid version if I need more, unless anyone can recommend a paid basic model.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 04:07 BST (UK) »
I use Reunion - it is an American programme (its one drawback for me)  - paid for and downloadable - I find it really good - not cheap but reliable and clear.  Not reliant on any other programmes but secure on my computer.

Every year or so they upgrade it but I still use the original programme I bought as I like the look of it.  I bought it in 2009 I believe.  If nothing else, it is worth considering.  I run a Mac computer and it suits that, but I think can run on PCs as well.

Wiggy (also in Australia)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
I have Family Historian (an early version). It is very good and appealed due to being a UK product. It got (and probably still gets) glowing reviews. I find even the early version quite complex, and to my shame, I have never fully mastered it.

When I "do" trees for friends and family, I use Tribal Pages. It is free but an paid upgrade with more features is available. I find it very simple, intuitive and easy to use. As I was building other's trees, the fact that they can log in and make changes is what appealed.