Author Topic: Bemused  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bemused
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this so it is as I thought that after 57 they either moved or one or both passed away.
There are no records on immigration to suggest that they moved. I do have a record of a cremation for Henry Wilkes in 1974 at Southwark which if this was him suggests that he went back to his roots. Nothing on Michaeline. I will search electoral rolls again - it is sooo frustrating. Thank you.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
1941 PO London Directory
North Acton Road NW10
Wood, Rozelaar & Wilkes Ltd. chromo lithographers

Henry was a director of this company?

Offline Leith Lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 October 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Yes he was the son of Thomas Peter Wilkes and Sarah Ann Robinson. TPW owned the Printing company Wilkes & Co they were later taken over by this company. Other brothers were employed in the firm also and my husbands grandfather Thomas Peter Robinson Wilkes was a Manager.

Offline cantabile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 April 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
So interested to read this.  My grandfather, Herbert Alfred Hollis, was cost accountant with Wilkes in SE London, near Blackfriars I think.  He lived in Camberwell then.  The firm moved in abt 1936 and he moved to live in Harrow to be nearer.  In 1939 although aged 46 he enlisted, having had a very bad Great War, and took leave from Wilkes until he was demobbed.  My grandmother met him at Wilkes in SE London, she was a paper folder then a despatch clerk. I would love to know a bit more about the printing firm. My late mother said Mr Harry Wilkes was a lovely gentleman.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 April 23 12:47 BST (UK) »
https://forum.slaegt.dk/index.php?topic=54213.1350
Mention here from somebody who is the nephew of Michaeline Christine Jensen (who married an Englishman named Henry Wilkes)

Says he died in 1965, fb (Frederiksberg I think in the thread context), gives an address where she lived, her death not known but thought to be around 1980.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk