Author Topic: Thomas Wilson, born West Linton, Peeblesshire, about 1833.  (Read 1426 times)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wilson, born West Linton, Peeblesshire, about 1833.
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thomas Wilson is on the 1861 census taken aboard the Royal Navy ship "Ardent", at Rio Plata, Buenos Aires, where he was assistant engineer, age 28, married, born in West Linton, Peeblesshire.

That makes his year of birth approximately 1833.

I can't find anything else about him, who his parents and family were, who his wife and children were, where and when he died.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilson, born West Linton, Peeblesshire, about 1833.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
What is your connection to him? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 02:44 BST (UK) »
He is one of two main possibilities of being the father of my great grandmother.

It is a long story.  On that 1861 census is also George Park, chief engineer in the Royal Navy, who was the father of Samuel Park who married my great grandmother's mother, and then the surnames of the children were changed from Wilson to Park.  On their birth certificates they were given the surname Wilson, with the space for the father's name left blank.  Wilson was not the mother's surname, she calls herself Thomasina Wilson.

I have seen a photograph of my grandfather, my great grandmother's son, and he has a striking look that I have seen on Scottish people, such as Gary McKinnon, especially the eyes.  Sort of Asian looking eyes on very Nordic looking people.

I am curious who my biological ancestors were, and the mystery of who my great grandmother's father was.  It does look as though Thomas Wilson knew the Park family, having worked alongside George Park.

I am trying to find as much as I can about all of them.

Also, and this might seem woo to genealogists, but as I had the date of birth for my great, great grandmother, I tried doing her astrological chart and she has a Sun Pluto conjunction in about 2 degrees Taurus, the Sun representing the man in a woman's chart, her father or husband.  At the time, 1875 and 1877, when she had her two children, mysteriously out of wedlock, transiting Neptune was exactly conjunct this natal Sun Pluto conjunction, in early Taurus.  I interpret that to mean that she was involved with a particular man very intensely.  A man who was away at sea (Neptune) a lot would be a problem.  She did eventually marry Samuel Park, but hinted that the father of her children was Thomas Wilson.  The marriage to Samuel Park ended, she was living with her children and a male lodger she later married, and calling herself a widow years before he did die at sea; Samuel Park was a master mariner (2nd mate) in the merchant navy.

I have had my DNA tested, and according to MyHeritage there is a huge amount of Scottish, or Welsh, or Irish (57%) and also of Scandinavian DNA (27%), which definitely comes from my paternal side, and probably whoever my great grandmother's father was.  From what little I understand about the way DNA works, it looks as though I could have a disproportionately high amount of DNA from this particular line (from the way I share DNA with others related to me).

I am very curious to know one way or the other if either Thomas Wilson or Samuel Park is a biological ancestor.  They were both Scottish, from the area around Edinburgh to the borders, and both had jobs that took them out to sea a lot, one an engineer in the Royal Navy, the other a master mariner in the merchant navy.  I don't think the mother was involved in any casual relationships, the astrological pattern is showing a very intense relationship.

I have traced a lot about Samuel Park but the only real information I know about Thomas Wilson is what is on that 1861 census, and that he was working closely with George Park, Samuel Park's father.  A strange coincidence, and others have said that the mother was hinting that the father's name was Thomas Wilson, by using the name Thomasina Wilson for herself, so they were registered with the surname Wilson.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has only one entry for Peebleshire - born 1832 living in Stobo.  Possible parents Andrew and Janet but they could also be his grandparents as Janet is 56

However - that 1841 entry could be the 1861 entry in Alloa??

FS has a baptism in 1831 - parents Thomas & Joan nee Forsyth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)