Author Topic: John Allard  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Allard
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm researching John Allard born around 1873 Birmingham. 1893 John married Mary Ann O'Hare the marriage certificate on Ancestry is blank gives no information other than his signature and the two witnesses! ( Sent for a copy from the GRO today)

John died 1935 his death certificate shows his address as Ladypool Road Sparkbrook, using the address I discovered a long criminal past convicted of many crimes including manslaughter in 1912.
Further research took me to an article in the press where he is listed as one of the "Peaky Blinders".

I can find no trace of the man prior to the 1911 census does anyone have any ideas please, BMD shows no birth, from the criminal records he was known to use aliases so perhaps he wasn't born Allard - would the authorities check his birth record when he was sentenced?

Richview

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Allard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
would the authorities check his birth record when he was sentenced?

No they would not.  It was not until the late 1870's that the birth registration system was tightened up so it is possible that his birth was never registered
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, perhaps the marriage cert will help. Strange it's blank on Ancestry same as many others for that period.

R

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the information that they forwarded on to the GRO gives more detail
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I hope say, they were very helpful, if they have a blank record they will return the fee. It's annoying I can find him so easily in the newspapers but that's all!!
R

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 October 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
In all the press reports and the death  entry about John  he is born about  1869.
The latest newspaper reference i can find is  on June 2nd 1921  when he was reportedly 52.
He was certainly a Peaky Blinder according to the company he was keeping at that time..
There is a John Allard in Eckington  Worcs that fits the birthyear and he disappears from census after 1881.
I also see that John was referred to by other gang members as Jack.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 October 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Marriage cert arrived and is complete but not much help - John Allard married at St Gabriels Church 1893 his father is shown as Henry occupation painter.
I have a list of convictions
alias
John Wilson,Jack Wilson,John O’Hara, Jack Allard,John Hallard

R

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have just read about violent London gangs and in it they mention a Jack Allard who served 7 years for manslaughter and 18 months in 1921 they say he was born in a Derbyshire workhouse.
 Found John Allard b Belper 1870 in Belper workhouse 1871 with mother Mary Allard age 28.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 October 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think you have found John/Jack Allard! Thank You!!

1  Mar 1912 did feloniously kill and slay Charles Cutler. Accused violently assaulted Mr Cutler then killed him by driving an umbrella through his eye
5 May 1921 Surrey Assizes wounding with intent

1912 he was charged with murder that changed to manslaughter and he served 7 years. I did find an army record Feb 1891 ( he failed to attend training!) he stated his age as 18 yrs 7 months - 12 months later he was 22 when he married - I thought 1870 would be about right based on the prison records.

Researching his son tonight he had some minor crimes recorded, William died 1936 but one trial he's referred to as Jack Allard Jr.

R