Author Topic: Jurisdiction of the Archbishop York  (Read 488 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Jurisdiction of the Archbishop York
« on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

Although the York jurisdiction does not seem to extend to Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne.

The Jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York extended to an area greater than Yorkshire at Varying Dates - click on each Parish for Details.

Included a few Parishes in the following Counties of ...
See link for places

Ainsty of York
Yorkshire Ridings
Nottinghamshire
Lancashire
Northumberland (8 Parishes)
Cumberland (I see Millom in the 17th Century, which is in South-west Cumbria, on the West Coast of England!)

Full list of Parishes in England and Wales (but seems to be England) where control of some Parishes listed, extended well into the 18th and early 19th Century ...
http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/reference/list-of-locations/list-of-parishes-in-england-and-wales-arranged-under-the-jurisdiction-of-their-bishops/list-of-parishes-under-the-jurisdiction-of-the-archbishop-of-york/

Comment
I suppose a Yorkshire Household in 1841 (wishing to be slightly awkward on their Householder's sheet) could write yes to born in same county, if born in one of those places (still under York at their Birth) and if accused of dishonesty on their Householder's Sheet, they could say ... well the place came under the jurisdiction of York at my Birth? Although I feel that would be stretching the Law.

Mark

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jurisdiction of the Archbishop York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Historically Gateshead and Newcastle were in the Durham diocese.

The list that you refer to is only parishes that were directly responsible to York as their bishop rather than as archbishop.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jurisdiction of the Archbishop York
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
As for the question of where someone was born, be careful not to confuse the county with the diocese. Although York is both a county and a diocese, for most of the period covered by the Clergy Database, Nottinghamshire (to give an example) was a county in its own right, yet in the diocese of York. There are several other such examples.

Nevertheless, thank you for posting the link. I use the Clergy Database quite often, but had never come across that particular page.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk