Author Topic: Austria research -Gardner sisters  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Re: Austria research -Gardner sisters
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 October 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carom

I looked at the church records of Brünn/Brno in Moravia (Sv. Jakub 1840-1848, page 19) and I have just found a Hugo Jerzabek who was born 28th March 1841 and baptised 30th March 1841.

Hugo Anton Franz Vincenz, Father: Jerzabek Franz, Mother: Vincenzia Prager, Godfather: Anton Prager.
http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/7869/?strana=19

In this church records I also found the baptisms of some brothers and sisters of Hugo Jerzabek almost every year until at least 1850 (I didn't look at later years). It is interesting to look up all this baptism entries because of the profession of the father.

In the newspapers at Anno there is also mentionned a Hugo Jerzabek who lived at Mährisch Schönberg in 1872 but he was born in Brünn. He was married with Emilie Winkler before 1872 and they had at least one son. They refused to register their marriage and the baptism of their child in the church records.

Hugo Jerzabek, age 55, was buried on the 14.03.1897 on the Wiener Zentralfriedhof. His place and date of birth are not mentionned but it could be the same of which I found the baptism in Brünn.

https://www.friedhoefewien.at/grabsuche_de

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
I am puzzled by the death notice in the Journal de Geneve, in that it mentions Austria-Hungary.
Does this mean she died in Geneva, or was it that the family had connections in Geneva, so chose to announce her death in that city's paper?

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 October 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Carom

Usually the people mentionned under "décès" in the "Journal de Genève" died in Geneva. Austria-Hungary is mentionned as place where she came from or as her nationality, which she gained with the marriage.

Unfortunately the death records of the time period in question are not available online. Only the "registres de l'état civil" before 1880 are online on the website of the Archive de l'Etat de Genève.

https://ge.ch/arvaegconsult/ws/consaeg/public/FICHE/AEGSearch

I don't know if the death records of 1899 are also held in this archive or if they are still held in the registry office (état civil). I also don't know if there still exists a burial register for the time period in question. I have asked this questions about death records and burial registers in the Swiss Genealogy Forum "Geneal-Forum".
https://www.geneal-forum.com/phpbb/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27245&p=99318#p99318

The answer: The death records of the civil registry office (état civil) should also be at the State archive of Geneva (archive de l'Etat de Genève). So you should write to the archive and ask for the death record of Laura Jerzabek in July 1899, maybe you add the link to the newspaper. Maybe the death record mentions her place and date of birth or the place were she lived (Vienna) or the name of her husband, so you could know if she is the right one.

Regards
Svenja

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carom

In Mährisch-Schönberg really existed a Leinenwarenfabrik under the name Bischof & Jerzabek!
https://www.nordmaehren.com/Luftaufnahmen/Info/Maehr_Schoenberg/MSchoenberg.html

The Austrian newspapers mention some entries in the commercial register of Olmütz which say that Bischof & Jerzabek in Mährisch Schönberg were Ferdinand Bischof, his wife Katharina and Hugo Jerzabek. Bischof & Jerzabek started on April 1873 and Hugo Jerzabek left the firm before September 1897.

http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?aid=wrz&datum=18971002&query=%22Ferdinand+Bischof%22&ref=anno-search&seite=27

I tried to find more information about Hugo Jerzabek and his wife Emilie Winkler in Mährisch Schönberg in 1871 and later years.
I searched on the website of the Digital Archives of Opava for the "Archiv mesta Sumperk 1871" (Archives of the Town of Mährisch Schönberg).
But I couldn't find birth/baptism or marriage entries, only the death registers (1858-1871 and 1871-1880).

http://digi.archives.cz/da/SearchBean.action?searchType=basic

Regards
Svenja

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 December 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carom

Good News! In the Swiss Geneal Forum someone has found the death record of Laura Jerzabek née Gardner in Geneva.

https://www.geneal-forum.com/phpbb/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=99987#p99987

le registre des décès de Genève de 1898, acte no 20, folio 120: Laura JERZABEK née GARDNER, +vendredi 09.06.1898 à 21.00, Genève, rue du Mont-Blanc 6, Pension Richardet, d'appoplexie cérébrale, sans profession, fille de James GARDNER et Elisabeth GARDNER, veuve de Hugo JERZABEK, née le 09.04.1858, originaire d'Autriche, catholique, sur déclaration d'Emile KAISER, entrepreneur, domicilié à Schönberg, Autriche.

death register of Geneva of 1898, certificate no 20, page 120: Laura JERZABEK née GARDNER, +Friday 09.06.1898 at 9 pm, Geneva, rue du Mont-Blanc 6 (street), Pension (Hotel) Richardet, cause of death: appoplexie cerebrale, without profession, daughter of James GARDNER and Elisabeth GARDNER, widow of Hugo JERZABEK, née on 09.04.1858, origin Austria, catholic, death declared by Emile KAISER, businessman, residing at Schönberg, Austria (maybe Mährisch-Schönberg).

Regards
Svenja

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Svenja,
Thank you for going to so much trouble to help me find out more about Laura, I would never have found it on my own.

Best wishes to you
Caro