Author Topic: Could I ask about this uniform please.  (Read 655 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Could I ask about this uniform please.
« on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Good evening, I have been asked to help a friend regarding a family photograph she has received, the gentleman could be her Grandfather but she is not sure.

Joseph Elliot(t) was born in Brigg in Lincolnshire in 1878 and later moved to Thorne in Yorkshire, he served in the first world war in the Lincolnshire regiment , 1st/5th Battalion, Reg number 3188.

He was the son of Joseph and Alice Elliott of Brigg and later married Eliza and lived in Thorne.

Do you think the man in the photograph could be the man described, any help or input will as always be greatfully received. Belief is that he also served in the Boer war, he does look to be wearing the Queens South Africa Medal?
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could I ask about this uniform please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:57 BST (UK) »

Duplicate post, it seems Moira and I are singing from the same song sheet  ;D

Frank

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802181.msg6600666
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
I think he would benefit from a wash and brush up over on the Photo Restoration Board don't you Frank  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
The soldier is a Corporal wearing an infantry regiment tunic and a field service cap.  This style of side cap was replaced in 1903 for the Regular army by what was called the Brodrick cap.   By 1905 this was in turn replaced by a peaked cap.  He is wearing the South Africa medal so it is 1900 or later.

He has a British Army Proficiency sleeve badge (lozenge shaped) and 2 stars which suggest he is a part time Volunteer Battalion soldier rather than a full time professional.

The 5th Bn was a Territorial battalion.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Alan o, thank you so much for that information, it is greatly appreciated  :)

Frank