Author Topic: Ashby  (Read 1122 times)

Offline crispian1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for your help.

The children were born in ireland from 1889 and there were there until about 1911 onwards hard to tell when they left, then moved to wales. William died in 1920 in swansea, hence when theres no 1891 and 1901 records in england. I have those Irish records from the irelands national records. thats all good. just missing the earlier stuff. Bessie was born in devon 11 January 1864 and William sometime  early jan
february, march or even as far as April 1859 as per the irish census records which i pinned down by the dates of the census. perhaps even on the cuspe of march april. this again ties into the robert ashby census records. Bessie visits her sister Ellen on the 1891 census with jane elizabeth as a child in devon, which is where i found her family roots.

i found Aine on Ancestry and sent them a message thanks also for trying. i also found their tree which doesnt include william but he is there in their census records, perhaps not updated their tree.

Like you i think Robert/Hannah is Williams parents.

Again thanks for your help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 October 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
The 1885 marriage cert would be the clincher
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline crispian1969

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 October 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
thanks for your help Carole found the marriage certificate. his fathers name was John Ashby. so different from Robert.

thanks for youre help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 October 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Was John Ashby shown as a blacksmith or as a groom on William's marriage cert?

EDIT

Just found 1885 marriage cert - transcribed as Ashley.  John was a blacksmith and William was 27 and a gentleman's servant
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 October 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
There is this 1861 entry for Loose - Kent. 

John Ashby 39 blacksmith b Hunton
Elizabeth M  38 b Maidstone
Thomas  12 b Hunton
Elizabeth     11 b Hunton
Lydia  8 b Hunton
Stephen 6 b Loose
Alfred  5       ditto
William  3      ditto
Mary 6 or 10 mths   ditto
Caroline Turner    71 mother in law b Maidstone
RG9 Piece 499 Folio 87

The 1871 shows 2 additional children - Henry 9 b Linton and Rebecca 7 b East Farleigh
RG10 Piece 937 Folio 121 Page 10

In 1881 - I think William could be the 22yr old b Maidstone who was a private in the 2nd Dragoon Guards stationed in Hythe

As it doesn't look like there is a connection to AineColliers Ashby's I will ask the moderator to split your post and create a new one to save any confusion

Offline Anne A Collier

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 October 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron, I have been on a wild goose chase trying to get back to you, this has all changed since the last time I used it. I got very excited about your message, but it looks like Carole has put you on the right path. My great grandparents were Hannah McCann from Colleraine and Robert Ashby, but it looks like they are not actually the correct people. Oh well, what a shame I have lots of Ashby records I would have shared, but we want to be accurate! All the best, Aine