Author Topic: DNA - Match  (Read 1556 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA - Match
« on: Friday 19 October 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
I have just received my DNA results. Still trying to work it all out.
What I would like some help with is this.....
I have a match possibly 3rd cousin....
101 centimorgans over 6 DNA segments.
Would this mean that we are connected through gtgtgrandparents.?
I did make contact with this person and was given a possible surname - which seems to possibly fit a person of interest.
As I don't have a Ancestry Tree I was not able to invite her to view it.  She has a Private one but I did not get an invite (probably my fault). I did give the information that I had concerning this person.
However I have searched the name I was given and I see others have Public Trees with this person on.
The reason I'm really interested in this is because it could help me with an elusive ancestor.
It could possibly mean he was illegitimate. Then again I maybe completely on the wrong track.

Sarra

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - Match
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 05:35 BST (UK) »
"Predicted Relationship Info: 3rd Cousins
Our analysis of your DNA predicts that this person you match with is probably your third cousin.
The exact relationship however could vary. It could be a second cousin once removed, or perhaps a fourth cousin.
While there may be some statistical variation in our prediction, it’s likely to be a third cousin type of relationship—which are separated by eight degrees or eight people. However, the relationship could range from six to ten degrees of separation.
It’s interesting to note that (at this degree of separation) we are accurately able to predict about 98% of the possible relatives that are out there—in other words there is a 2% chance that our DNA analysis can NOT recognize an actual relative of yours."

So the answer to your question is, it's up to you and your match to sort out how you connect.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 18 06:17 BST (UK) »
Sarra,

I am not familiar with Ancestry DNA and what they do or don't show regarding your results, but I would advise you to upload your raw data to My Heritage. Apart from the possibility of you getting more, or different, cousin matches, the results and predicted relationships may differ slightly.

Many people also advise uploading to Gedmatch. I have done so but find it very 'bitty' and too complex to get any benefit from it.

My Heritage have diagrams to show you the possible relationship of anyone you match with. It is nothing revolutionary but sometimes seeing it "on paper" makes it easier to get your head around.

I tested with FTDNA and have a couple of matches with similar shared DNA to your example. With 105.9 shared DNA over 5 segments, My Heritage predicts a first cousin twice removed to 3rd cousin once removed relationship. For the same cousin, FTDNA predicts a second to fourth cousin relationship. Frustratingly, I have been unable to work out where we connect.

With another "cousin" My Heritage predicts a first cousin twice removed to 4th cousin match. FTDNA predicts a second to fourth cousin relationship. This person and I are second cousins once removed.

So it seems that their estimated relationship is fairly broad but fairly accurate.

I have many many other relatively close matches but have no idea who our common ancestor/s are .....

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 18 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for those replies.
I have downloaded the RAW data - after a few problems.
Could you please point me to the link to upload to My Heritage.
Many thanks
Sarra

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
I hope this is correct:
https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

I think you just follow their instructions from this page.

After your data has been uploaded there is a wait of a few days for it to appear on their site. If I remember correctly I think they send you an email telling you when the process has been completed.

I found it a bit confusing but somehow muddled through it.  :)

Good luck.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 18 05:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you....
Sarra :)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
Also upload to Gedmatch and ftDNA.

http://thednageek.com/how-to-transfer-your-ancestrydna-test-to-other-databases/

FTDNA conversion tool http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

I agree Gedmatch is difficult to work with and I have found no actual recognised matches with one to many there. It's main benefit for me is to compare one to one, when you persuade someone else to upload there.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 October 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
I'll try and upload to them too.
I managed to upload to My Heritage - without any trouble.  :)
Sarra :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Pop back and let us know how you get on Sarra.

When you look at your My Heritage DNA matches via the pull down menu at the top of the page, beside each name which matches you, you will see a question mark. If you click on that you will see the diagram of possible relationships with that person, which I mentioned earlier.

Added: You might like to suggest that your Ancestry DNA contact/match also uploads their data to My Heritage and other sites. I have recently done this with my mystery cousin but I still haven't found our connection (though I have more work yet to do).

Good luck.