Author Topic: grandads World War 1 army service  (Read 1157 times)

Offline moonshine44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
grandads World War 1 army service
« on: Friday 19 October 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Please be patient as this is my first post .
I have been trying to trace my Grandads army records / service/medals,via forces war records with very little success .
His name was William Lawrence Briggs Parkinson and his regiments are listed below
6th East Lancs  Private 22398 .
Machine gun Corps Private. 176596

Any help in this matter would be most welcome and appreciated.
                                                Moonshine 44.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: grandads World War 1 army service
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Warm welcome to Rootschat!

Post deleted in the light of Jomot's post

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
The daily casualty list for 3 Apr 1917 includes W Parkinson, 22398, East Lancashire Regiment, with Great Harwood also noted - usually place of birth or enlistment.  The casualty lists usually appear several weeks after the actual incident.

Part of his service record is on FindMyPast - transferred from 6th East Lancashire Regiment to MGC on 15 Sep 1918
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Jomot - good find, well done indeed.  The OP has not seen my earlier poor input so I have deleted it.  My research team has been sacked (he is only 11, he'll get over it),

moonshine 44.  The badly damaged record that Jomot has found adds just a little to out knowledge.  Your man did not serve overseas until after the end of 1915  and the 6th Battalion East Lancs went to Mespotamia in Feb 1916.  The record does not show which battalion of the MGC he transferred into in Sep 1918.

That said, there is another record for a Great Harwood man aged 18 years 2 months in June 1889 serving in the East Lancs from 1889 to 1910 could this be the same Thomas Parkinson? Father George Parkinson, 3 brothers and a sister.
  See my correction later
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline moonshine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Jomot - good find, well done indeed.  The OP has not seen my earlier poor input so I have deleted it.  My research team has been sacked (he is only 11, he'll get over it),

moonshine 44.  The badly damaged record that Jomot has found adds just a little to out knowledge.  Your man did not serve overseas until after the end of 1915  and the 6th Battalion East Lancs went to Mespotamia in Feb 1916.  The record does not show which battalion of the MGC he transferred into in Sep 1918.

That said, there is another record for a Great Harwood man aged 18 years 2 months in June 1889 serving in the East Lancs from 1889 to 1910 could this be the same Thomas Parkinson? Father George Parkinson, 3 brothers and a sister.

MaxD

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Moonshine 44

You have re-posted my piece.  If you meant to reply, look for the grey REPLY button a little below this, compose your reply and hit Post.

MaxD

PS I am not having a good day!  The earlier man is Thomas - possibly father?

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline moonshine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
MaxD : As you can see i am struggling with this site .
Thanks very much for the Helpful info , I was surprised to find that he did not serve overseas until after the end of 1915 however i have been told that he was in the 3rd battalion of the MGC .

Many Thanks for your time and effort
                                           Regards
                                                moonshine44

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
His record is very badly damaged.  The only date that can be deciphered is the date of his transfer to the MGC which was 15 September 1918.  The "not before 1916" date for his overseas service comes from his medal record which has no date of entry to a war theatre which was only entered for service in 1914 and/or 1915, and hence no 1914 or 1914/15 Star medal.  His medal roll entry gives the date he was released as Jan 1920.

The transfer was from 6 East Lancs who in Sep 1918 were still in the Mesopotamia theatre in 13 Division.  3 Battalion MGC was in 3 Division in France and was not formed until March 1918.  If he was in 3 Bn then he must have moved to France at some time in some other MGC company which became 3 Bn or after March 1918 when 3 Bn had been formed.  Far more likely that he was transferred to 273 Company MGC which was the 13 Div MGC support.  None of these scenarios, or any others, can be proved without additional evidence unfortunately.

Is there any family information relating to his whereabouts during the war?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline moonshine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD
Thank you very much for the additional information , it is most appreciated . I am sorry to say that there are no family members left for me to ask about his service during the war .
I will continue with my effort to trace more of my grandads history .

Your knowledge and response to this post are amazing and very much appreciated .

Regards
                                                              moonshine