Author Topic: Charles Eyres Simmons - Artist where he studied and taught?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Charles Eyres Simmons - Artist where he studied and taught?
« on: Saturday 20 October 18 00:15 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 Census, a painter/artist called Charles Eyres Simmons along with his wife and sister-in-law, are living in Churchtown, Ruan Minor, Cornwall.
Born in 1872, Milton, Kent and by 1881 the Simmons family had moved to Kingston. Charles Eyres Simmons painted with watercolours and studied under Hubert Coop. He married in 1900 and in the 1901 Census, they are living in Herefordshire. After Ruan Minor, they moved on to Devon, then the Channel Islands, before Hastings where he died in 1936. As a painter, he also went by alternative names; Eyres Simmons and Eyres Charles Simmons, also misquoted as Ayres. His wife and sister-in-law were from France but British subjects through parentage and Charles Eyres Simmons also painted French scenes.
The person I am researching, was born in 1854, taught in London and studied to teach art, with an interest in watercolour, eventually moving to Churchtown, Ruan Minor, Cornwall. I am looking to see if there is a connection.
Where did Charles Eyres Simmons go to school in Kingston?
Where did he study art under Hubert Coop? William Hubert Coop studied at the Lincoln School of Art and only after 1911 dropped the William to paint under the name Hubert Coop and is regarded a Suffolk artist.
Where was Charles Eyres Simmons in 1891?
Did Charles Eyres Simmons teach art in London?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Eyres Simmons - Artist where he studied and taught?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
This says he married towards end of 1901:

https://cornwallartists.org/cornwall-artists/charles-eyres-simmons

Marriages Dec 1901 Weobly 6a 1145   
SIMMONS Charles Eyres          
SWAYNE Aimee Emily       

Also, says death 1955:

Deaths Mar 1955 Hastings 5h 405
SIMMONS Charles E 83   

Death of Aimee, possibly:

Deaths Dec 1938 Kerrier 5c 159
SIMMONS Aimee E 84

A previous marriage for Aimee:

1881 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27W-7P5B

1891 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJYN-7ZM

Marriages Jun 1875 Newtown 11b 299
BAILEY Amy Emily           
SWAYNE Albert Edward

Death:

Deaths Mar 1896 Llanfyllin 11b 150
Swayne Albert Edward 44

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 18 01:11 BST (UK) »
Aimee and Charles on the 1901 census, in WALES, with her daughters Annie and Leonora. He’s a visitor:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9BV-KDY

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
“The person I am researching, was born in 1854”

Who?

Jamjar

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar, you have been busy.
The person I have been searching for is James William Ladner, born 1853 in Hampton Court and registered in Kingston. There is a topic on the Cornwall page: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800806.0 which has reached its end.
I own a handpainted watercolour postcard by James William Ladner, who moved to Ruan Minor, I believe in 1916, as he registered to teach at the school. With his wife Harriett, they too lived at Churchtown. There are plenty of newspaper articles of James William Ladner passing examinations in art.
Something or someone, must have opened his eyes to Cornwall. I am wondering if he knew Charles Eyres Simmons at school, or through teaching.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
The Newlyn school of painters in the late 19/ early 20th century bought Cornwall to artist attention.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:00 BST (UK) »

The person I have been searching for is James William Ladner, born 1853 in Hampton Court and registered in Kingston.

There is a topic on the Cornwall page: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800806.0 which has reached its end.

I own a handpainted watercolour postcard by James William Ladner, who moved to Ruan Minor,
I believe in 1916, as he registered to teach at the school. With his wife Harriett, they too lived at Churchtown.

There are plenty of newspaper articles of James William Ladner passing examinations in art.

For info you may already have this but just in case........

He married Harriet Merrit in 1880 Greenwich and James occupation School Master
also same occupation on baptism records for their sons John Eric & Alan Wilfred

According to London Electoral Register
Years 1918,1919, 1920
James William Ladner’s address 147 Church Lane , London 
both sons listed in 1919 but not Harriet

James is also listed at that address 1912,13,14,15 and appears to be there from year 1903
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
From the information I can find, Charles Eyres Simmons was not a member of the Newlyn School. He is mentioned on cornwallartists.org and his paintings were often bought by Americans. Using watercolour, he is my main focus as the man I am looking at, James William Ladner, was a teacher and painted watercolours, to a high amateur level. Both he and Charles Eyres Simmons were of a similar age and living in the Hampton Court/Kingston area. Were they at school together? Eyres Simmons moved to live in Churchtown, Ruan Minor between 1901 and 1911, remaining there until 1938 at least. Churchtown was tiny, only a handful of houses, now demolished. Around 1916, James William Ladner moved to live in Churchtown, Ruan Minor. He took up a teaching role at the school, but also painted. Coincidence?

Another artist, Alfred Joseph Warne Browne, was a member of the Newlyn School and exhibited in London, 15 times at the Royal Academy. He also lived in Ruan Minor, a landscape painter and in the Census it says LEA, which may mean he worked for the Local Education Authority, possibly in a teaching role. But he died a year before the Ladners arrived.

There is very little information regarding these artists. That is why I am asking on RootsChat, to see if anyone can access information not available on the Internet.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk
The information re Ladners in London I have. Before embarking on this search I looked at the Ladner/Munton families as they are linked, but mainly this generation, not wanting to trace the family back or forwards.
It is a possible link between James William Ladner and Charles Eyres Simmons that I hope to establish as that may explain why the Ladners moved to Ruan Minor.
I have no idea why Harriett was not listed in 1919 as she died in 1933 at Ruan Minor, Cornwall. It may be a family issue, but I have not looked into her family, apart from her father was involved in training the police and James William's father being a police officer in Hampton Court.