Author Topic: Southern Rhodesia 1930s  (Read 1057 times)

Offline ajf101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southern Rhodesia 1930s
« on: Sunday 21 October 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Tracing a branch of my family, I've found the death record of Emma Churchward Mortimer, born 31 March 1866 in St John's Newfoundland, and died in Gwelo, Southern Rhodesia (now Gweru, Zimbabwe), 31 Oct 1941. She was working "domestic duties" at a farm I believe called Dalmeny at Iron Mine Hill.

What I'm trying to work out is what she was doing there in the first place? She was in the 1911 census in London working as a Lady's Companion, and I assume she accompanies someone down to Gweru (but not the same people as in the 1911 census).

Are there any records that may tell me who owned/lived at that farm?

Thanks!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Rhodesia 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
This might (or might not!) be helpful

There is a list of subscribers to the Overseas Club 1917
https://archive.org/stream/listofsubscrib1917overuoft/listofsubscrib1917overuoft_djvu.txt
In the Africa section is
Simpson, W. H., Dalmeny Farm, Iron Mine Hill.
24 years before the death of Emma, but it does give a surname which might be a lead.

(for the benefit of other Rootschatters - the head of the household on the 1911 census was Annie Margaret HOLLOWAY, 50, single,  born Southampton)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajf101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I found that listing too...

In the same death records as Emma I found William Hutchinson Simpson having died 23 April 1940, age 77, living in Lalapanzi (nearest town to Iron Mine Hill). Occupation, Butcher. Because of this occupation, my suspicion was that he was not head of the household (he was also listed as single).

I find a few William H Simpsons born about the right time in England and Scotland, but none of them provide any hints that their paths would have crossed London and Emma before then. I may be wrong but I am hoping there may be other avenues I can explore!

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I think that Emma might have been located at Dalmainy Farm (instead of Dalmeny) as this farm is much close to Gweru???
(see: http://www.geonames.org/advanced-search.html?q=dalmainy&country=ZW&featureClass=S&continentCode=&fuzzy=0.6 )

Dalmainy is mentioned as her location in the 1938/9 voter roll: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSLK-6S5X-X?i=359&cat=497705 . On the same page are 3x Millers located at Dalmainy as well.
Note: She wasn’t listed in the 1934/6 roll

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline ajf101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
@TreeSpirit :o

That is some phenomenal detective work here, and I'm humbled you somehow connected my post here with my other throwaway comment about having lost a certain Mary L Mortimer after 1891. It would indeed seem that this is her.

Wow. I need to let this sink in for a while. But... wow. All the final pieces of this tree have just come together.

Thank you so much!

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome ...
The voter roll was going to be the end of the line, but then I saw your remark re Mary and I wondered whether there was the very remote possibility that she could have been the reason why Emma went to Africa? And, in this case that small titbit of information and a bit of luck killed 2 birds with one stone ...

I keep on telling people to give as many - seemingly irrelevant - bits and pieces as possible because it can be the smallest thing that throws a search wide open (Unfortunately too many people don't seem to believe me - soooo frustrating).

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 18 03:26 GMT (UK) »
fyi
https://www.amazon.com/Missionarys-Life-Africa-1890s-ebook/dp/B0069ABA22
(I believe that is a photo of Mary as there is a drawing of the same person on Ancestry)