Author Topic: Investigative - detective - or idiotic supposition  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Investigative - detective - or idiotic supposition
« on: Sunday 21 October 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Its me Xin :)

Now for ever and since the beginning of my research - in 1980's  I have been attempting to sort.

Charles Annis Green .... NOW STOP   - do not go running and researching him.. I HAVE / WE HAVE been there done ALL that.

so Know his birth marriage and death and census returns and war records and ALL about him.....

APART from who the heck his daddy was?

All kinds of suppositions and detective work has gone into finding his Daddy.. his marriage cert tells a great big FIB  -- and all along he (understandably)  entertwined his facts with fiction..

Why this post today..

Well a tiny tiny breakthrough....oooooh  trying not to be excited .. cos I have been this close before.. and NO its not cos I did the DNA although -- I had hoped that would help.

Right sorry

Ancestry decided to send me a previously unseen link... NOW why I hadnt seen it - :(  ::) ::) 

It was the Baptism record from Brixworth..

I knew his full baptism name and I knew he changed that as he went through life..

So have always thought Daddy may be a Mr. Marshall.

BUT this baptism record.. at a quick glance shows nothing new.

but as I turned away a couple of names jumped out at me...

Burgess and Clements....

I knew I had a reference with these particular names and Charles before..

and yes in the 1841 -- he is farmed out with the Clements... 

SO  NOW I needed to investigate   and see if this family had closer links to my Charlie boy .. its all a lovely little 'ignition' button for me.

If you want to play detective with me.. thats fine..  but all I am checking is to see if there is a link with the Green family and the Burgess - Clements...   I am sure that I have come across a link previously...

For me it was just strange to see the same names on the Page with his baptism record.  Could all be   NOTHING ... but .. worth a check.. maybe.

dog and a bone me..

xin

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Investigative - detective - or idiotic supposition
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
What does his birth say for parent or parents as you have it? 

Who was his mother if no father listed and who did he fib about being his father when he married?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

OK 

He has NO father mentioned... at all..
His mother is Elizabeth Green and I/we found her and realised that she later (much later) married a Mr Burford..  (not his father)   He had his step/ half sister living with him at some time that proved his Mothers marriage to Burford...
Uhm  HIS marriage cert states that his father is:  Thomas Green  a Surgeon.  !!!! 

He lives in Northampton in the 1841 with the Clements under the name Annis Green and is therefore mistaken for female.. at times in search engines..    I did not know who the family where he was living with or why...
I found his mother as a servant (I think in 1841)  so attempting to earn a living.
1851  he is now in Hinckley..
as Annis Green  age 13 born in Middlesex Harrow... (FIB)

BUT that brings up the connection with his mother who is now living in Harrow area.

so it all fits...

believe me its been a devil to sort to the stage I am at with it.. and without having his SONS names and references that only family knew to start with I would not have managed to get to the stage I am... 
I worked through that 1851 and found his later WIFE on the next or same page.. again it was correct.

so in the 1861 he has CHANGED his name to Charles Annis Green  and this sticks now.. no more Marshall.....!?  He has married Sarah and is a Grocers asst.  and was born in BRIXWORTH no fibs.. :)
1871   he is sticking to the truth and he now has his STEP / HALF sister living with him and his family.   Charlotte Burford...

and on and on and on.. so all I want is his DADDY   

and why did his mummy call him Annis Marshall.. well I think her mothers maiden name was Annis........

hard search this one

but my Direct line and it will mean the end of the line now.. as there are no future male descendants of him....:::::(((((

xin

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has been covered before,but it seems to me that Elizabeth is the daughter,born 1812
in Wilbarston(as per 1891 census Elizabeth Burford) to William Green and Mary nee Annis (marriage 1793 Wilbarston)

Regards
Roger

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that

Yes thats the lady

all that can be found .. I think has been.

But really appreciate your help.

I think William and Mary had two Elizabeths  that is what became confusing  one dying early.. and being replaced
My memory is a little vague on it all now... hang on let me peruse.

The main reason for this post .. was just to say.. that Ancestry finally found the baptism..
He was born just pre 1837.. so NO BC anywhere and the only baptism note I had previously had been found ON HERE   some time ago.. showing his illegitimacy ...

BASE BORN SON it said and that was the first time I had heard that term.

So I with oodles of RC help  wove my way through Census returns and marriages .. chased Elizabeth all around the country .. down to her being a servant with new husband and then without her husband - him living next door... almost.. :)  her two lovely daughters.. were discovered.. Her SISTER that proved the William and Mary link.. the fact that MY grandfather had been called AFTER his  Grand MOTHERS maiden name....  everything became a link that was too close to ignore and then it all finally fit.. I worked back from each Census  as I knew he was a Grocers assistant through family knowledge.. being told he sold sweets to the kiddies etc... so that helped.  I also knew there was a link to Hinckley / And then a link  to his Step fathers family that came through from Genes R.

So it has been a journey and a half.. so much discovered that is PROVEN with documentation..

there is also a precious photo that he carried around with him all his life and that had his mothers name on the back... very faint but yep  so what a wonderful wonderful part of my family history to discover this story and put it all together.. NEAT  ..

just wish Daddy would show up..  to seal the deal..

as I say there is now NO male line to carry it through.. I am the last of the directs and then of course there are my daughters... sad..

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Addendum:

the reason I became excited when I saw the full baptism page.

Was the fact that the names of the Burgess and Clement families .. were on the same page.

They LINK into the family at other times for other reasons.. so I knew another POSITIVE.

Also forgot to mention that ELIZABETH had a brother CHARLES

so he changed his name to that of his Uncle.

xin

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
No doubt this is not relevant,but the Vicar of Brixworth until he died in 1818 was a Charles Marshall.
I don’t know if he had any sons,but his will is at The National Archives (download £3.50)

Regards
Roger

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
I  know.. I remember discovering that at the time... and panicking for a while..

;D ;D ;D ;D

xin

but just in case I will DOWNLOAD that there will....omgooodness...

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
So I have the will :)

but MY eyes are dreadful these days so I need a Transcriber.. doubt I can put it all on here due to copy right :)

So if anyone would allow me a pm with email addie or maybe a mod will say if I can add to this topic.

apart from that  will have a nother attempt.

xin