Author Topic: 11th Regiment of Foot in Corfu; David Davidson  (Read 664 times)

Offline wadelaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
11th Regiment of Foot in Corfu; David Davidson
« on: Monday 22 October 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather, David Davidson was born about 1808 in Tynan, County Armagh, Ireland (now Northern Ireland). According to his British Army service records, David enlisted in the 11th Regiment of Foot in 1825 at Glasgow. The 11th arrived at Corfu on 30 March 1828. They moved to Santa Maura and Zante before returning to Corfu in June 1835. David and the 11th Regiment of Foot left the Ionian Islands in January 1838 and were ordered to North America, landing at Halifax, Nova Scotia 22 April of that year. David’s first child, Eliza, was born at Windsor, Hants County, Nova Scotia a month and a half later.

I would like to find a record of my great-great-grandfather's marriage to my great-great-grandmother, Harriet Hughes. In other records, she is listed as being Welsh. Judging from David’s service record, I doubt if he returned to the UK to meet, court, and marry Harriet, so I must assume that they met at Corfu. I also presume that she could have been the daughter of another soldier stationed at Corfu. The dates suggest that Eliza was conceived at Corfu shortly before David and Harriet shipped out for Canada. Were they married before that? Were they married on-board the ship (the Russel, the Minden, or the Cornwallis)? Any ideas as to how to find this information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Regiment of Foot in Corfu; David Davidson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
There is no marriage entry apparent on the Army/Overseas marriage register starting 1818.  Marriages at sea were not required to be registered until 1854.  (The army births register has a Harriett Hughes born in Corfu with a date transcribed as 1818 but as the register covers 1818-1864 I would not trust the date without seeing the record).

Blank so far!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
she could have been the daughter of another soldier stationed at Corfu

or the widow of another soldier perhaps? Per your other post she was born circa 1806 so she would have been 31 in 1837.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karmomma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandfather, Edward Gavin, also arrived in Corfu in 1828 with the 11th regiment.  He went on to the Ionian Island in March 1828 to Jan 1838.  Then to Montreal and Kingston, Canada.  He then went to England where he met and married his wife. 
Edward also had a brother, Peter Thomas Gavin, also with the 11th regiment and was in Corfu and ended up in Australia and back to England.  He never married.
Edward also had another brother, John Patrick Gavin, also in 11th regiment,  who married his wife in Ionian Islands, St. Maura, had children in Santa Maura and Zante.  I found their records on the British Armed Forces And Overseas Banns And Marriages/Births.
I would also check the marriages in any of the Provinces he might have been in Eastern Canada.  I would also check his British military records for any clues of exactly where he might have been at that time.