Author Topic: Desperately searching for family bible NEWCASTLE  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Ashleemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately searching for family bible NEWCASTLE
« on: Monday 22 October 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
We had a beautiful family bible that got lost when we moved about 15-16 years ago -Newcastle- (I was quite young at the time) I’m not even sure of the names on it I just remember what it looks like and a few of the first names inside. I’m just putting ads anywhere I can to try and locate it, someone must have it. Are there any places I should be looking? How would I go about locating it?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately searching for family bible NEWCASTLE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
Why don't you tell us the names you remember?
Knowing a rough area might also help? (eg whereabouts in Newcastle)

Anyone googling those names will probably come to this thread one day. If you only remember first names I think you might be out of luck. Looking for a bible in Newcastle with the names William and Ann or similar I'm afraid might be a bit too vague.  :-\

Such a shame it is lost. I understand how frustrating that must be for you. Are you sure it was not packed away with other "stuff" and may be in the loft somewhere? If I mislay something I find it can help if you can remember what else the item was with, eg, it was in a bookcase with such and such a book, or it was in a box with such and such ..... presumably you have asked all family members if they know what happened to the bible?

You might even be lucky enough to find another rootschat member also tracing the same family - not that they will have your bible, but it might be nice to make contact.

PS. Welcome to rootschat.  :)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 18 06:17 BST (UK) »
Even if you don’t remember exact surnames you could list surnames you know are possible eg all your grandparents/Gt  grandparents surnames

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the removal firm?
I have never had such a traumatic move as my last one,two years ago.
Contracts signed and exchanged and then you have to get out of your home pretty darned quick.
You need to be in two places at once,the removal men are at your home and vans going to your new one but where are you?at the flipping solicitors!
All my stuff was colour coded,packed in boxes which I could lift,but oh no,they were all packed eight at a time in huge boxes,all mixed up.
I am still looking for things,did I dispose of them or are they lost?
What a loss,and such a shame,
I know it is a long time but you never know.
Best of luck with your search.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Try getting in touch with Oxfam or other charity book shops in the area.  Give them the details and your email.  Hopefully, if they ever come across this lovely Bible they will give you first chance to buy it back before going ahead to sell it on.

Also try quality second hand bookshops such as 'Keelrow Books' in North Shields, etc.

This might be worth a try, at least.

I do hope you get this back.  Please keep us updated.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
I think the question is, was the Bible:
lost (never found after unpacking)
misplaced (it should have been packed and moved but we don't know where it is now)
thrown away (binned)
or
given away (charity shop)

Once you know the answer to this, it might give you a starting point on where to look.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Ashleemay :)

More questions to help us help you.

(1)  Is Newcastle the surname of the family, or the place where they lived?

(2)  If it's a place, where is it?  There are a few Newcastles to choose from - at least two in England and one in Australia!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Try  Googling some of the names in the Bible and Newcastle,  you never know what you may find.  Not looking for anything in particular, I once Googled a family name, together with the town where they had lived in Hampshire, and up popped the family Bible for sale in an antiquarian book shop in Wales.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Ashleemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your replies guys!

-reply to Carol- it’s newcastle upon Tyne

What happened was all our stuff had to go into storage when we moved, it was in storage about 9 months! so We think it might have been taken from one of our boxes at the storage place (my mam has already been on to them years ago and they denied knowing anything about it) I don’t really care I just want it back lol it’s all our family history so I’m devastated

Sorry to sound vague but this is everything I remember about it, like I say I was only young when we had it-

Three sets of twins in it- one of the twins drowned. Mary and Georgia were names of two of the twins (I don’t know if they were twins but out of the three sets of twins Mary and Georgia were there)

It had something in about the bowling club at Prudhoe, it was presented to my family memeber by the bowling club I think or had some link to it

It had tracing paper between the artwork and maps in it. It was in perfect condition

Black with gold patterns/square on the front.

Surnames that were in it I think were Anderson, peacock, Ferguson.

Missing in 2004 or 2005

I have a photo of it that I can upload when I get the albums down from the attick

If anyone comes across this or can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful, thank you :)