Author Topic: James Mustard & Elizabeth Ogilvy - Clunie  (Read 2418 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Mustard & Elizabeth Ogilvy - Clunie
« on: Monday 22 October 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Evening all

The above are my 5x great grandparents and they are listed on the death record of my 4x great grandfather in 1867 in Inveresk when he was 87 years old.

I haven't been able to find a marriage record or other records for either James or Elizabeth though. Is anyone able to help me find more info. I don't know how common the name Ogilvy is?

Thanks - Keelan

Quick addition - I believe I found a baptismal record for James (Son of James & Elizabeth) on 22/08/1779 in Clunie, to a James Mustard (No mothers name given).

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: James Mustard & Elizabeth Ogilvy - Clunie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
With the details you have provided, that being your 4th grt grandfather's death at 87 years of age means he was born in 1780 in Inverseck Midlothian. The only marriage I can find that goes anyway towards being correct took place in Midlothian at South Leith on the 01-03-1758. In fact it is the only marriage of a James MUSTARD and Elizabeth in Scotland between 1750-1785.
Her name was Elizabeth RAMSAY. There are 8 girls with that name born in Midlothian between 1730-1743 and are all within 5-6miles of South Leith.
Hope this might help you out, but I'm also sorry if it puts another cat amongst the pigeons.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
The above are my 5x great grandparents and they are listed on the death record of my 4x great grandfather in 1867 in Inveresk when he was 87 years old.

Names do help in research.

Who was 4 x g g/father & have you traced back the census records to find where/when he was born with approx. yr as a death cert. isn't always accurate i.e. you need an average likely yr with +/-?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
Death certificate and census concur that he was bc.1780 - the latter clearly states he was born in Clunie, Perthshire (his children born Perthshire too).  This ties in with the baptism OP has now found.

James bp.1779 appears to be one of 8 children born to James Mustard and Elizabeth Ogilvy between 1775 and 1795 (only the latter baptism gives her name).

James senior probably the one bp.1737 Clunie, son of another James - this would appear to be the James Mustard who married Katharine Grymman 4/10/1728 Clunie. (James b.l1779 named a daughter Katharine).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Apologies for the late reply.

So yes my 4x great grandfather James Mustard (1779 - 1867) married Ann/Anna Crichton (1776 - 1857) on 30/10/1803 in Clunie. James & Ann had children - Robert Graham Mustard (1810 - 1819), Thomas Graham Mustard (1812 - 1881), James Mustard (1814 - ?), William Mustard (1817 - 1860), & Isabella Graham Mustard (1820 - 1907).

Robert Graham is also who registered James Mustard's death in 1867, and as the Graham name appears in the children's middle names I am assuming there is a close connection between the two.

I believed I had found children for James Mustard & Elizabeth Ogilvy, but could never confirm these as the mother's name did not appear on the baptismal records. Annette - Could I ask the children you found for James & Elizabeth? And which baptism it is that gives the mother's name? Addition I've found the baptism for Jean Mustard on 30/04/1795 and it reads - April 30 Jean lawful Daughter of James Mustard and Elisabeth Ogilvy in Hollocks of Clunie was baptised.

James baptism. 1779 - Father is in Hillocks
George baptism. 1791 - Father is in Hillocks
Jean baptism. 1795 - Father and Mother are in Hollocks/Hillocks

Keelan

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Annie,

I do not have the 1841 census return for James Mustard & family.

Name - James Mustard
Age - 71
Spouse - Ann Mustard
Where born - Clunie, Perthshire
Address - Toll-Bar
Occupation - Toll-Collector

Name - James Mustarn
Age - 81
Where born - Clung, Perthsh
Address - Drumbrae
Occupation - Retireel Farmer (Doesn't seem to fit)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Geoff - Yes born around 1780. With the baptism I have found of 22/08/1779, and his death date as 15 June 1867, this would make the age given on his death record as correct, aged 87. I'm very grateful for the help! It does put a tiny cat amongst the pigeons because I have to wonder where Mr. Robert Graham, the information on James' death record in 1867 got the name Ogilvy from. He seems to Have known James since at least before his son's birth in 1810, as the son was Robert Graham Mustard, so I would have thought he would know James' mother's maiden name if anyone would.

The only Elizabeth Ogilvy I have found was baptised 11/02/1760 in Clunie, to Ronald Ogilvy & Margaret Murray 'in fornication', so I am assuming this means that this Elizabeth was illegitimate, I cannot seem to find more info on Ronald & Margaret.

Note also that the surname continually changes between Mustard and Mustarde.

Keelan

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
There is this 1841 census entry

Guard Bridge Leuchars

James Mustard 60 Excise Officer
Ann Mustard 65
Isabella Mustard 20

All born Scotland

There is a death for an Ann Mustard in Leuchars in 1857 age 81.

An Isabella Mustard married a William Elliot 14 Jan 1842 in Leuchars- the 1851 census would appear to give her place of birth as Perthshire while the 1861  names her as Isabella Graham Elliot, born about 1820 Longforgan, Perthshire. Presumably this is the Isabella Graham Mustard referred to above.

As an aside, and as an avid golfer, I note that the 1861 census for James Mustard shows him as a lodger in the home of William Park - I think that this is probably Willie Park Senior who won the Open Championship 4 times. Might be worth a google!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)