Author Topic: George Brown, Mellis  (Read 822 times)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Brown, Mellis
« on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone will be able to help me trace this chap.  All I now for certain is that he was a Private in the Rifle Brigade & that he died during the Great War as he is remembered on the Roll of Honour in Mellis church. Sorry I have no idea of his age but I assume he must have lived in Mellis prior to enlisting.

I have found a George Brown, b 1889 Burgate (neighbouring parish), parents George & Eliza but am unable to confirm whether or not this is the same chap.

I haven't found an entry on the CWGC website either as there are an awful lot of George Brown's so it would really help if I could find a George Brown who had some connection with Mellis to narrow the field with an age etc.

I have all the others but would be exceedingly grateful for some help on this one.
K

ps.  Also found George Brown c1884 Burgate son of Robert & Phyllis.  Interestingly there is only one Brown burial in Mellis up to 1900, Harriet Brown 83 of Yaxley in 1884, so there is a good chance he was born outside the village.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Brown, Mellis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
There is a record of a George BROWN who died on May 15 1915
He was born in Worplesdon, Surrey but his residence was Mellis Eye, Suffolk.
His Reg# was 2004 as a Lance Corporal in the Rifle Brigade

There is a field hospital record for him on Feb 11 1915 as aged 28 and being 8 years in the army

His army record shows he enlisted at Winchester on March 11 1907
His father was Charles Brown of Mill Lane, Mellis Eye, Suffolk
Also as next of kin he has listed a brother William and a sister Ethel

There is a good chance that this is him - he was originally a Private, made a/cpl Oct 28 1914

edited to add
On an official army document dated 1919
Charles Brown is shown as living in Mellis Eye aged 64
There was a Step-mother Jane aged 70
William and Ethel are shown as aged 34 and 36 respectfully

There is a lovely letter written by George Brown's father thanking the army for the box received with his son's belongings with quote "his name written in big white painted letters as big as hen's eggs"!

Charles Brown in on the 1911 census with his wife "Mrs Brown" and his daughter Priscilla Ethel in Mellis
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Brown, Mellis
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
That really does look like a strong possibility.  Thank you so much for your efforts, my lucky day.

K