Author Topic: Avica the mysterious woman  (Read 19898 times)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Avica the mysterious woman
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 31 October 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Harbury Baptisms

07mar1828 Mary Ann, dau of William and Ann MASTERS, a labourer of Harbury

07mar1828 William, son of Stephen MASTERS, a labourer of Harbury, and Erica WILLSON, a spinster of Harbury
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 31 October 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda

I reread this thread earlier today, for pleasure, and realised that I had not actually got to the bottom of it, but 5 years have passed and more data is online now. It seems worth taking a second look.

I was wondering if I could find out more about Ann Heritage nee Simpson and maybe try again to identify the mysterious Hannah Simpson.

How have you been? I see you are a champion poster!

Love and best wishes, Louise
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 31 October 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

I've ended up mainly further south over the last couple of years on the London and Middlesex and Surrey boards

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,24.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

and I occasional show on the more general boards

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,47.0.html

For Hannah's marriage it may still be a matter of asking for a lookup in the Oxfordshire Family History Society's database

http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 31 October 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed the FHS and asked them to find the marriage of Ann Simpson to Mr Heritage, and I thought I would ask them to find William Simpson's to Susannah too, for the next generation.

I have also asked them if they have bastardy bonds.

I will let you know as soon as there is any news

Re London and Surrey, I was doing some research on behalf of a friend last year, Dunnette, I seem to recall your helping me with that too!

You are a wonderful woman

Best wishes, Louise

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 31 October 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a response from Oxfordshire FHS, the gentleman who picked up my email is himself named Simpson and comes from Liverpool where I now live, so he really put himself out for me and searched for all sorts of stuff, more than I asked him for, what a guy!

Anyway, I can tell you that there is no record in Oxfordshire of a marriage between William Simpson and Susannah.

Ann Simpson married Thomas Heritage in Glympton in Oxfordshire in 1817

From Alan

14 Sep 1817
By banns
HERITAGE   Thomas(x)   o.t.p.
SIMPSON   Ann(x)   o.t.p.
Witnesses   Ann(x) NEIL,  Jamed(x) NEIL
(N.B. Although the typescript gived Jamed as the second witness name,  I would suspect given the proximity of S and D on the keyboard, that this is probably a typing error for James. As you can see from the (x), neither Thomas nor Ann, nor their witnesses was able to sign their names. In Ann's case, she had the excuse, as indicated by later cesus entries, that she was blind.)

And yes, he had looked up the census and provided me with the entries I found earlier tonight, as well!

Ann and Thomas Heritage also baptised a son, Thomas in 1817, according to Alan, in Glympton. He did not give me a date for that, but with a wedding in September and a baptism before the end of the year, she was obviously pregnant at the wedding, third time lucky, getting the father to marry her! She would have been 44, a hell of an age to be having another child.

Alan reminds me that Ann was blind, but I am inclined to think that may have been late developing, through cataracts for instance, I dont feel confident that a blind woman would have three children to three different men.

Offline sunlight64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
Any one know of Henry Simpson and wife's Abigail and Adelaide- about 7 son and 1 daughter- Anything on his parents all living in Birmingham Warwickshire?   how far the family goes back living there.... Tks    Patricia
Twyman, Bartlett, Kent,  Simpson-Birmingham Warwickshire

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE: For anyone following this thread in the future

I have now discovered some more baptisms in Fifield

Ann Simpson was baptised June 7th 1773 to William Simpson and Suzanne
Hannah Simpson was baptised October 14th 1781, a daughter of William Simpson (no mother named)

So it looks very much as though Ann, who later married Thomas Heritage and bore him one son, and who died a few months before her spinster sister Amy in Chipping Norton, is the mother of Avic/a Wilson and John Hayward Simpson.

And Hannah who married William Masters was her younger sister, and Avic/a's aunt.