Author Topic: "Parkhurst Boys" transported to NZ 1842/43  (Read 77329 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Parkhurst Boys" transported to NZ 1842/43
« Reply #117 on: Monday 30 January 06 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I think The Times Digital Archive 1785 - 1985 is all you get on-line.
Think you have to be quite imaginative with your search terms.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I haven't been following your thread for some time so you may already be aware of this resource which I've just found mentioned in The NZ Genealogist issue of January 2005.

You're probably aware of David ROUGH's letters held by Archives NZ, but are you aware of Paul BUDDEE's list of Parkhurst Boys' name changes held at the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington (Ref: P q365.34 BUD 1985)

Regards, riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Riley,

Thank you for the information.....I was not aware that Paul Buddee had published aka's for the Parkhurst Boys arriving in Auckland.   Fortunately I did manage to obtain copies of David Rough's correspondence from the NZ Archives in Wellington (Internal Affairs, Series 1), including his periodic "Returns" from which I have been able to identify each boy.

Internal Affairs Series 1 is marvellous material !!!

My regards

Tony

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony.
I have been watching this thread as it has progressed over the last few months and wonder, if after reading your reply (message 35) where you said that there were still 116 names to try and find a link to, that if you list those 116 names { and or the names taken after release } you may find some NZ Genealogist's who may assist you to find a link to their family tree. I am sure that some of these lads would have tried very hard to hide their past, if and when, they married and / or made something of their lives etc. I am sure that not all of them would have re-offended! Although from the information already tendered in this thread most found it hard not to!. Some NZ reseachers may have no idea of, or have even considered that their Great G/Fathers past could hide such an interesting and intriguing topic of research. I am sure that I, for one, and many others would  certainly keep the list of "Parkhurst" names beside us as as wander along searching for our own elusive family clues in the archival records of various libraries and other research facilities in NZ. If you have the time, a list of the 116 names may provide a positive responce. And I for one would certainly love to see more information forthcoming about this most interesting part of NZ history.
regards Colin
Millett, Mellett, Mallett, originating Cornwall England
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

Thank you for dropping me a line.

I have to some extent almost "given up" on extending my research of the 123 original Parkhurst Boys disembarked at Auckland.   Despite advertising in so many various ways via genealogical outlets etc. the response has been very disappointing. 

Your suggestion about publishing the names does seem very practical/practicable but rather than identify the names here researchers may like, for example, to visit the website http://pearlspad.net.nz/ParkhurstBoys.htm compiled by Janet Martin where all the boys are identified from both the "St.George" and the "Mandarin". One of the most interesting aspects of the website is Janet Martin's comment that "Many of the Parkhurst Boy's descendants became distinguished citizens of Auckland".   This gave me some hope that there was quite a lot of information available, but that has not proved the case, and sadly I have tried to contact Janet Martin without success.   Possibly the "dark chapter in the story of NZ" that she refers to as unpublicised remains very much so 160 years later.

I am very grateful.........hopefully your interest will prove a catalyst.

My best wishes and thanks

Tony

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony.

I was very re-miss in not re-reading all the previous post's prior to sending my last post or I would have seen & remebered your earlier referance to "Pearls" site. I have now copied the list in full.
Now to your Text. " Given Up"  is not a term we Kiwi's use. The brick wall is only so thick. If you hit it hard enough somtimes a little light shows through 8), I am sure that we can find something. When you look at the times this thread has been viewed I am sure it will have stirred more than just myself into wondering " what if "
I note you still have a year to complete so leave this with us and we will see what we can find.

Regards and best wish's

Colin
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 11:44 GMT (UK) »

Could the NZ Herald be tempted/bullied into running a human interest story? Anyone have any contacts there?

Just a thought!  :)

Cheers
K.
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Koromo,

Good thought!. I do know a correspondent who writes a regular column for the Herald. I will twist his ear to try find a Feature Writer contact name within the Herald who may want to take up the challenge.

Regards
Colin
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Now having just re-read all the post's in this thread, I note that in message 35 you said that you have full or partial Biographies on 17 of the boys that came to NZ.  Rather than trying to re-invent the spoon over here in NZ you may wish to list those names so we can concentrate on the un-known rather than the known or partial known names to save on time and duplication

Regards Colin
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland