Author Topic: Hodgkinson family/1851 census  (Read 975 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Hodgkinson family/1851 census
« on: Sunday 14 August 05 04:49 BST (UK) »
I have been told that Gt.Gt.Grandpa Robert Hodgkinson & family are on the 1851 Peterborough census but they are listed as HODKINSON. Please could someone kindly take a look and see where Robert was born. All later ones have  him as born in the place he was residing at the time. Have not yet been able to find his marriage certificate so if I could find out his birth-place it just might help.  Many thanks.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkinson family/1851 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 05 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

Peterborough was in Northants so you'd probably do better reposting on that board. I sympathise with the spelling - I've got Hodgkins in my tree and the number of spelling variations has to be seen to be believed!

I've just had a quick look at www.familyhistoryonline.net and there is one Robert HODKISON appearing in 1851 Northants (not HodkiNson). I don't have any credits so can't get the place and reference number.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkinson family/1851 census
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 05 08:06 BST (UK) »
Dear bedfordshire boy - Thanks for your reply. Yes, my Hodgkinsons have been listed variously as Hodkinson, Hodgkins and in the 1861 census a kind Rootschatter tracked them down for me and they were listed as Hochman. True! How did the enumerator work that one out?
Thank you for your Northants advice - I will do that later. Geography was never my strong point and more so now that I am 12,000 miles away. Good luck with your Hodgkins.