Author Topic: kenny/canie brothers  (Read 3952 times)

Offline mugwamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
kenny/canie brothers
« on: Monday 15 August 05 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall in trying to find out info on my great grandfather Charles Canie/Kenny.  Charles and his brother Frederique came to Quebec from either England or Ireland in the early 1860's when they were quite young.  They were raised by the nuns where, I have been told, the spelling of the last name was changed to Canie.  I have been unable to find out the year they came, the boat they came on, and why they came at such a young age and with who.  Frederique was apparently adopted by an american family, while my great grandfather went out on his own from the orphanage as a young man.  Can anyone help? 

Thank you
Janice Canie
canie, desautels, richard, brissette

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: kenny/canie brothers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Janice,

Have you contacted the Catholic Church in Quebec?  That might be your best bet.  They probably have archivists, etc., who can help.

P.S. Perhaps this information at the Canadian Genealogy Centre might be helpful:
http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/101402_e.html

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline mugwamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 21:31 BST (UK) »
Josephine:

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the church which would be a big help.

I have since found out through articles from the newspapers, that perhaps my great grandfather Charles Canie, was indeed born in Gracefield, Quebec.  His date of birth was July 1860.

Could anyone suggest how I could go about finding a copy of his birth certificate, if, in fact, this information is correct?

If someone could do a birth lookup, any info would be very much appreciated, especially the parents names.

Thank you
Janice Canie

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

I tried to find him for you on the 1881 Canadian Census (available free at http://www.familysearch.org ), but with no luck.  I just took a quick look though.  Maybe you will have better luck.  With a name change you will have to check a lot a variant possible spellings.  I noticed there were several people named Keney and Kaney in Quebec - these would also be logical transcriptions of Kenny.  Remeber that the enumerator was likely francophone and so would write down English names phonetically.  This would explain how they got to Canie - much easier to read and pronounce in French.  This index also includes place of birth and "ethnic origin" (based on place of birth of father), which would tell you where the family was from even if he were born in Canada. 

You can also try to find him in the 1901 Canadian Census.  The index is available at http://automatedgenealogy.com .  There are links to the original images, which will give you place of birth and, if he did infact immigrate, year of arrival in Canada (although this is sometimes unreliable if the person does not remember correctly or if the census information is being given by someone else)  I would have taken a look for you on this one too, but I can't access it from the computer I'm on (blocked by the firewall). 

Hope that helps!

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 05 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Janice, I hope that you have checked the 1901 census as your man is the only canie in Quebec ...listed with wife and family...and another son, it seems was in Manitoba...born 1877 so a mrriage licence 1876 or less may retrieve more information?
There were home children as early as the 1860's but your 2 were not on the list.
The census says he was born in 1960.  Potato famine was still affecting emmigration from Ireland.
Irish did use the name canie, as I found these on the 1881

John CANIE    1849>
          Birthplace    Ireland
          Age    32
          Occupation    Quarry Labourer
          Marital Status    M <Married>
          Head of Household    James GALLAGHER
        Relation   Lodger

and also an older Canie in Quebec...who could be a relative of the children!
             Isaiah CANIE...perhaps he had brought them and was raising them but was just too old to do so anymore? Just a thought....too much of a coincidence that he would be in Quebec, the only Canie.....

Birth Year    <1801>
          Birthplace    Ireland
          Age    80
          Occupation    
          Marital Status    
        Ethnic Origin   Irish

I see that you only have these 2 posts...so if you aren't notified, this is a limbo message anyway....J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 05 22:36 GMT (UK) »
In Quebec at that time there wouldn't be birth certificates, just church records.  Gracefield is in Gatineau, here's some information on that area, which is close to Ottawa, and on that particular area:

http://www.bytown.net/maniwaki.htm

Which was settled primarily in the 1840s and 1850s by a mixture of Irish and French families (suggests that KEANE / KANE / CAIN might have been the name of one family).

Catholic church records for Maniwaki
 are available and might contain mentions of your family.  (Incidentally I believe Charles is in Maniwaki in 1901...)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 05 15:38 GMT (UK) »
In 1920 there was a Fred Canie, born 1855
Windham, Connecticut  in 1920 ,
Ancestry search

a Fred Caney
Birth:    abt 1858
Residence: 1870 -  Chautauqua, New York

and a Fredrick Kaney
Birth:    1856
Residence: 1900 - city, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mugwamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:37 GMT (UK) »
J.J:  Thank you so much for the info you provided.  I am not sure if back in those days when a child was adopted, if the last name of that child was changed to their last name or not...but the years of births seem to maybe fit.

I did find the family on the 1901 census in quebec, thank you.  I am not sure what you mean by a son in manitoba though.  Where did you get that info?

I too found Isaiah Canie on the census and i have thought that same story, about him being maybe a grandfather to them or so but unable to get any other info on isaiah.

Thank you once again.
Janice Canie

Offline mugwamp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Jorose:  I really want to say thank you for providing me the website at maniwaki.

I did post a message to that site and guess what?  Just a few days later, i found out the names of my gggrandfather and gggrandmother on both sides!!!

I guess the story about their coming to canada from ireland as orphans could not have been true, although it could be the gg's that came from ireland.  I will continue my search with the new info.

Joseph Kenny married Eulalie Lafond and they had 2 children...Charles and Joseph.

Also a reference to a Frederic Cannie (Kenny) and his wife who had twins born in 1900....not sure how that fits in just yet.

Once again, thank you.
Janice Canie