Author Topic: 31 February 1845?????  (Read 30695 times)

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
31 February 1845?????
« on: Thursday 18 August 05 20:13 BST (UK) »
Has anybody ever come across the date 31 February, shown on a grave.  I have a photograph of a gravesite at Preston, Berwickshire, Scotland, which clearly shows the date of death as 31 February 1845.  As you will all know, there is never 31 days in February.  Does anybody know whether the calander was ever different back then??  or if this is a mistake engraved on the headstone.  I am truely confused.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 31 February 1845?????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanessac,

I think you must have the only 31st February I've seen yet!

Can you post a copy and let us have a wee look?

I've seen cases of the wrong month being engraved then another month engraved on the top of it and you end up not knowing which it's supposed to be.

The moral of the story being . . . . yes, there are mistakes made!

Anne

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 05 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure how well you will see this, but it says Feb 31 1845, I do have other photos that show it more clearly but this is the only one I have scanned at the moment.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean - 31st February????

Anne

Offline Konna Bray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Me and my sister when we were teenagers found a grave in Elwood IL that also had a February 31st grave. They also died in 1800s. But I don't remember what year and we never got a picture. I think  It was on a army arsenal property. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 04:01 GMT (UK) »
How unique Vanessa but brilliant that you have a pic to 'prove' it  ;D otherwise your descendants may think it was a typo.

I guess back then with illiteracy, errors such as this can be forgiven.
May have been a '2' which was looped & looked like a '3' by whoever wrote the info?

I wonder if it's possible to get a copy of the church record if there is one?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hmm....

I wonder if it's a complete mistake all round?

SP OPR's has this;

CLARK HELEN
Parent WM CLARK
Age 1
31/01/1845
685/2 510 217
St Cuthbert's

Or a coincidence  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Fred a stair

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 February 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm just watching the film *the unholy* and the date 31st of February 1845 came up as part of the script, googled that date, which lead me to this site and page. It was such a coincidence that I felt compelled to register, login and post this reply. The film is set in New England and as the film title suggest is a horror.

Offline Kristyahn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I also just watched the movie and, unfortunately you compelled me to sign up, login and post!  I know many posts and people will say that February 30th never existed, (I know this one said February 31), but there were two different periods of time in which February 30th was actually used…

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/february-30.html

It’s pretty interesting read!  However, apparently people will use February 30 or 31 as dates bc they either don’t know the actual date of death, or it’s to say that this “event” has never, nor will it ever occur! 

Darn you Netflix, Vanessa, Anne and Fred, for making me… yes you MADE me create an account I will most likely never use again!  Haha - all the best to you all!  Cheers 🍻

FYI:  My real name is Christian, but I spell it like Kristyahn when I sign up for things on line (since I was in high school).  Most people actually think my name is Kristy (but for whatever reason, they disregard the last 3 letters).  Again, you’re welcome for learning something new again!  😁