Author Topic: WALLER, 1881-1883  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WALLER, 1881-1883
« on: Friday 19 August 05 01:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any connection to William Robert (known as William Henry) WALLER, wife Ellen/Nellie (nee MELDRUM), and children Kate Laura born 1883 and William Henry born 1885 in South Africa.  Kate is my grandmother. William and Ellen left England sometime betweem 1881 and 1883 when my grandmother was born - they did not marry in England. By 1889 Ellen and the children are back in England, where Ellen remarries stating herself to be a widow.   She and the children show up in the 1901 census which is how I knew them to be born in South Africa.

Ellen disappears again in 1903/4 when her children marry - did she return to South Africa? Her married name was then HUNTER.  My grandma Kate also leaves her family in 1918 - did she too return to her birth place of South Africa?

I would dearly love to know where they were born, and where my great grandfather William died.  I have tried the death notices with no luck.

I know this is a long shot, as I realise it's very difficult to find marriages and births in South Africa, without knowing where they took place.   Just fingers crossed that someone recognizes the names!

Thanks, Linda.