Author Topic: Smithwick and Read families  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Pepi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smithwick and Read families
« on: Sunday 21 August 05 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there

The family history bug has bitten...........and I would really love to have some info on the Smithwick and Read families, or if someone could point me in the right direction. This is the info that I have:

Philip Fitzgerald Smithwick
Born in Natal
I would estimate around about 1880?
Worked as a gold miner (mine captain) in Johannesburg in 1915
Lived at 20 Nelsons Road, Booysens Johannesburg

He was married to:
Alice Mabel Read (late Hayes)
Born 1887 in the Eastern Cape

This information came from the birth certificate of their daughter Audrey Fitzgerald Smithwick born 4th July 1915

On the baptism certificate of Audrey the witnesses were Charles A R Read, Arthur H Read, and Evelyn Smithwick.

I know that the family moved to Zimbabwe in 1919, but would like to know details of their ancestors.

Many thanks..........in anticipation
Pepi :)
Names: Hobson, Wilding, Croshaw, O'Neill, McAuley, Keatley, Faulconbridge, Smithwick, Read. Areas: Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, South Africa

Census information is Crown Copyright from, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Smithwick and Read families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 05 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
If you look in the national Archives you will see that there are a number of references to Smithwick. Also there is the divorce notice of Alice Mabel Hayes who was born Read. Have a look at the archives and see if there is  anything that looks interesting.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pepi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 05 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks rutti-tutti, have looked at the national archives site but not sure where to click to search anything, could you give me another pointer. Many thanks. pepi
Names: Hobson, Wilding, Croshaw, O'Neill, McAuley, Keatley, Faulconbridge, Smithwick, Read. Areas: Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, South Africa

Offline Pepi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 05 07:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks again rutti-tutti, have now found my way, it looks as though their may be some photos of P F Smithwick, not sure yet though whether any of the Read info applies to my family. Will keep looking. Pepi