Author Topic: Dalbeth Cemetary - where is it?  (Read 49691 times)

Offline tetcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dalbeth Cemetary - where is it?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 March 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina,
they are completely different cemeteries.
Dalbeth, also known as St. Peters, is really well kept.
I don't know how old it is.
I don't know the name of the other. It may be Janefield, but I couldn't swear to that, its just that there is/was a Janefield Road or Street around the area.

Cathy

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 March 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks tetcol,

That's good to know.  Well, I have written to the address suggested above, so I hope to have a lair number soon!  And then maybe someone can take a photo for me  ;D.  I do not think there will be any actual marker, as the family weren't well-off.

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 March 06 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Nina,

After the Blantyre Pit Disaster (22 September, 1855) in which 215 miners lost their lives, all those of Roman Catholic persuasion were buried in Dalbeth Cemetery. This because their families were not allowed to have their loved ones buried in the local High Blantyre Cemetery.

Many of those killed were registered at a slightly later date as and when their bodies were recovered. Perhaps your relative was one of these.

Mac

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 March 06 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixons,

I don't think he died as a result of the Pit Disaster, as his cause of death is Gastric Fever (14 days)...and his date of death was December 2, 1855. 

I am wondering if his actual burial could have been delayed until 1856,  because of the cold frozen ground at that time of year...although it says that he was buried at Dalbeth there is no date.  But this is just speculation.

Neleh, I heard from the lady "Sharon" mentioned above, and she says she is happy to look for me, and will do so next time she is at the place where the archives are held.  A very nice letter it was, too.  Thanks for the email address!

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline NellW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 10:26 GMT (UK) »

After the Blantyre Pit Disaster (22 September, 1855)

Hi Dixons

I may be getting confused but wasn't the Blantyre disaster in October 1877.  If there was another one in 1855, have you any more info or suggestions for sources as i had ancestors in Blantyre at that time.

Helen

Offline dixons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 March 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Helen,

Apologies. One of us got the date wrong and it wasn't you. Let's call it a 'senior moment.'

Re your ancestors in Blantyre at that time. Book 'A Blast From The Past' (see www.blantyrepast.com) describes living/working conditions in the village and also full story of Disaster.

Mac

Offline mctaz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 October 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to visit Dalbeth when I next get back home to Scotland, but I searched for it using Google Earth.
If you don't have this program installed, then you need to!
It's brilliant... I can see your headstone from up here :-)

Anyways I think I found the cemetery at:
 55°50'20.13"N
  4°11'13.55"W

If someone has Google Earth installed can they verify it please?

Jim

Offline Aye Right

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 October 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
I think you may be right mctaz - if Dalbeth is the one next to the Dewar Distillery - then you are on the ball! :)
COATES & JONES - Shropshire & Liverpool pre 1880<br />WILLIAMSON & MCCRACKEN- Armagh, Northern Ireland pre 1881<br />HAYNES & ROWLANDS - Shropshire pre 1880
HUTCHISON - Perthshire pre 1880
WATT - Aberdeenshire pre 1880

Offline dydo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 11 January 07 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Nina,

I came by accident and rather late on this topic, the location of Dalbeth Cemetery.

Can I just explain, that there are in fact two Dalbeth Cemeteries. There's St Peter's, which is huge, well maintained and is still in use.  Right next to it, there's a small cemetery called Old Dalbeth, which is no longer in use and is in a dreadful condition. It's the one accessed by climbing through 'gaps' in the old stone wall.  It's marked on the old map of Glasgow you were advised to look up, right next to the convent (which no longer exists)  "New" Dalbeth (not on the old map) takes up a large tract of land, west of this old cemetery.

If your ancestor is in 'New' Dalbeth there should no problem in locating the plot, even if there's no headstone. We were able to locate the g. g. grandparents plot in New Dalbeth this way. (My g.g, grandfather died 1889)

However if the ancestor is in Old Dalbeth there's little chance of finding the grave, unless it has a tall marble monument. These are the only things still visible in this jungle.  My g. grandparents are buried in 'Old' Dalbeth. My g. grandfather died in 1902 and his wife in 1904 but they  seem to have bought this plot in 1871 when their son died aged 2 (of whooping cough)  Two grandchildren were later buried there;  a girl who died 1900 aged 6 weeks (of  measles) and a boy who died 1902 aged 3 1/2  (of burns !) Last to be buried there was a great grandchild, a little girl. She died in 1937 aged almost 3. Had she lived, she would have been my older sister. So you can appreciate why we are so angry about the neglect of Old Dalbeth. I'd like to start a campaign to get something done about it.  I'm sure there are many  descendants of those buried there would like to see the jungle cleared and the graves tidied up.

Dot