Author Topic: HOBBS family of Market Lavington & Easterton  (Read 18120 times)

Offline Chris of Hants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbs family of Market Lavington & Easterton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 April 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Chris and Kath,

Sorry to keep you so long, I thought all messages were sent to my E-mail automatically.

I'm sorry that I do not have the William mentioned but I know that the 41st Regiment of Foot did a tour of duty in Ireland - and that some families in Market Lavington acquired land in Ireland for settling the Protestant cause.

Amusingly I got in touch with a Professor Andrews formerly of Dublin University about the Down Survey commissioned by Sir William Petty distributing land in Ireland.

It was to help someone about the Hobbs of Stogursey, Somerset who acquired land in Kilcormac.  Some Irish Hobbs also went to Canada to diffend it from the U.S. also after land grants no doubt.

Offline Chris of Hants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 April 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
The 41st Regiment of Foot came from veterans of the Marlborough Wars, namely from the Royal Hospital of Chelsea.  It became the 41st on July 1st 1751.  The regiment amalgamated with the 24th in 1969 and are now the Royal Regiment of Wales.  In the War with the U.S. starting in 1812 the 41st had earlier travelled from Ireland to Canada on August 1799.  Also part of the Wiltshire Militia was part of the Regiment.  Of Course as you may know the 24th were at Rorke's Drift against the Zulu's later.

Interestingly the 24th Regiment came from Sir Edward Derring and the 41st from Colonel Edmund Fielding.  A Derring and Fielding were present at the Battle of Cheriton in the English Civil War earlier, perhaps ancestors, as was John Hobbs in Sir George Vaughan's Regiment.  The Regiment were at Lansdown, Roundaway Down, Bristol, 1st Battle of Newbury, Cheriton and Cropredy Bridge.  The colours were a blue flag with the motto Experto Crede.

A James Hobbs of Market Lavington was captured at Moraviantown on the 5th October 1813 by the U.S. spent a year in a prison camp in America and was released in 1814.

Offline vouvray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 October 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for Benjamin Hobbs who married Sarah Arney in Downton, Wiltshire, in 1809 but he does not appear in Downton Births.

Do you know what happened to Benjamin son of Benjamin Hobbs and Elizabeth (Lane - I think) of West Lavington

Might he have moved to Downton?

Thanks

Offline Chris of Hants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 November 06 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I know of this branch of the family and if I recall correctly they stayed in the area and the subsequent Charles Hobbs moved to Lancashire.  I will endeavor to find out the information I have stored somewhere.

Offline vouvray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 November 06 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, anything would be appreciated - even if it means there's no connection

Offline yewtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 November 06 02:25 GMT (UK) »
G'Day vouvray,
I have a Benjamin Hobbs in my line, the son of William and Jane Hobbs, but 'my' Benjamin was born in Alderton Wilts in 1833 and died in 1834

Yewtree
Hobbs. Gls and Alderton Wilts.
Cornock, Slimbridge Gls.
Wye, London & Surrey,Oporto Portugal.
Gedge, London & Norfolk

Offline Bathonian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
On the question of the Hobbs family. You can't tell if one of them crept across the county boundary into Somerset, by any chance? I have a Richard Hobbs who married a Mary of Lullington and had a daughter Elizabeth, b.1822 in Faukland. She married Elijah Parfitt of Clutton. Probably a wild goose chase, but you seem to have so much information on the Hobbs, I thought I'd try my luck.  Many thanks in advance.
Somerset: Parfitt,Cooke,Mears,Mathews,Snooke,Badman,Ward,Hobbs.
Wilts: Hancock, Eyres, Allen,Wilmot,Carpenter,Plank, Burgess.
Dorset; Trim,Gray,Young.
Lancs: Scott,Hardman, Booth.
Carms: Morgans,Morris, Price,Thomas
Her; Ledster,Taylor,Fox,Barley, Powell,Smith
Middx: Page,Bishop.
Glam: Rees,Evans,Williams,Lewis,Hopkins,Jenkin,Hugh(es)
Cards: Evans,Davies,Jenkins
LNK: Scott, Lawson,Meikle, Bunton,Semple,Stobo,Alison, Craig, Weir, Couper,Stewart, Thomson,Draffan, Hay

Offline Chris of Hants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 February 07 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the other names you have got-  Carpenter is one of oldest names in Market Lavington, and the other names are familiar. 

The Hobbs did indeed move westwards to Somerset for coal and stone mining, beer brewing (several malt houses in M.Lavington) and the railway expansion.

My family moved to Bath to be involved in the Victorian Housing boom.  My brother recently lived on the outskirts of Bath, and I know of Clutton.

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS family of Market Lavington
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 January 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just picked up this thread.
I've got back to 1683 with Peter Hobbs (mother Jone) and Emma Price (B.1683) and can go no further, yet!
Peter is 8x Great grandfather.
My Hobbs moved to West Lavington circa 1779 with, or just prior to the marriage of Benjamin and Elizabeth.
Any further / earlier information would be very much appreciated.