Author Topic: HOBBS family of Market Lavington & Easterton  (Read 18097 times)

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS family of Market Lavington & Easterton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 January 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Other than Jone in 1683 when Peter was born, I'm not finding any other Hobbs in Market Lavington prior to this date.

I do find Hobbs in Stert, Bromham, Paulshot, Inglesham, Rowde, Aldbourne, Maries, Heytesbury, St Peter And St Paul, Marlborough, Calne, Malmesbury.
Locations determined by ref to IGI (so some will be individual entries rather than transcribed files).

The largest concentration circa 1660 is in Aldbourne.

I'm wondering if, as it appears, Jone was sent away from home to have Peter as no father is listed.
That being the case she must be linked to one of the other family groups in Wiltshire, but which one?

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 January 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone have information relating to Jone (spelling as IGI listed) Hobbs (born circa 1661).
I'm looking for parents and earlier dates.
Did the Hobbs move to Market Lavington about this date and if so where were they before this.
I've got the direct line back from 1900 but hit a brick wall at this point.
Jon

Offline Anglojack1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I also have a direct line to Peter Hobbs and Emma Price. I’m stuck at Peter mother Jone as well. His will is at the Wiltshire Records Centre in Chippenham.
There are earlier Hobbes’s in Easterton and Market lavington
1: Roger Hobbes East Lavington (now Market Lavington) Made will 1573
2: William Hobbes Easterton died 20th November 1618 he had a son John Hobbes who was at least 30 years old or more
3: John Hobbs was buried 15th mar 1674 Market Lavington
4: John Hobbs of Easterton made a will 1683
5: John Hobbs Easterton made a will 1696
Any of the last three could have been Jone’s father. But sorting them out is anybody guess!
Just a word on Seymour (spelt as Seymor on his b/c) He married Mary Lane in 1870. Went to work in Wales (Glamorgan) about 1871/1872 where they had 3 children they came back to Wiltshire a settled in Devizes about 1877/1879 and had 2 more children.
Seymour’s mother Ann Wilkins died 1846, and his father remarried Mary Batt on May 25th 1850 at Littleton.
My direct ancestor Benjamin Hobbs move to West Lavington around about 1763/1765
I hope this has been of some help

TTFN

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info.
My guess is that they're all related in that area as the father back we go the less people in the genealogical pyramid.
Though we can't at present attribute any direct links, some broader idea of the greater family could be loosly associated.
Well that's my theory (for the moment)  :)

Are there no references in the wills? I'd hope to see the records on file one day, but being 300 miles north it may be a while.
Mind you I do have a recently discovered brother in Hampshire so who knows.
Jon

Offline Anglojack1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Peter Hobbs will  only shows  his wife and children. It can be viewed at the Wiltshire and Swindon  History Centre in Chippenham. I think there is fee.

TTFN

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jone Hobbs located
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Jone Hobbs located through Findmypast.
Baptism March 1st 1662/3 ((why 1662/3?).

I've also downloaded Perter Hobbs will of 1738 as being the only on line scan available. The rest must be ordered.

Thank you everyone for your assistance thus far.

Offline nyflint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jone HOBS or Hobbs
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention Jone's father is given as John.

There is also a record of a Jone Hobbs burial July 8th 1692, Marlborough, St.Mary the Virgin  - but as yet I'm not sure if this is the same one.
There is another Hobbs at the same location 1696 which may be linked.

There is a record of a John Hobbs of Easterton marrying a widow Ann Burden of West Lavington 24th November 1670.
This could be the same one (Jone's father). Otherwise John's birth and possibly previous marriage may fall into the 1640/60 void as I can't find a John Hobbs that fits the date frame. Any leads would be much appreciated.

My Hobbs moved to West Lavington possibly as early as 1738 ........ ref 2 wills of Peter Hobbs, the first made in Market Lavington and the other (the latter apparently more detailed) in West Lavington both dated 1738.

A general question.
Does Base Born mean illegitimate?

Offline Dougator

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 May 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
I too may be related to John Hobbs of Easterton and wife Anne Burden.   I believe they had a daughter Mary born 1680.  I find no other record of children. 

Does anyone know how to find if any Hobbs from Wilshire immigrated to Maryland, America say 1690 to 1700 ?

Offline ShazAlexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 February 23 14:39 GMT (UK) »
This thread has been a fascinating read, and I have seen plenty of familiar names!

I too am descended from John Hobbs and Anne Burden, via their daughter Anne, who had a baseborn son, William, born in 1697.

I also recognise the names of James Hobbs and Eliza Lane, they were my great-great-grandparents!

The Hobbs are one of the most challenging families I've researched, with frustrating gaps in the records and many many illegitimate children. I love hearing about everyone else's adventures with this frustrating family.