Author Topic: lost in NZ.......  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: lost in NZ.......
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 06 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas, ;D
re our exchange on another thread. What a shame there was no info on Annie's death cert. I just received an Australian death cert for the great grandmother of a friend. It lists 10 children, living and deceased, her parents names, and the year she arrived in Australia.

I'm going to have a look for Annie Archer in 1851 - you never know your luck.

Cheers
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 06 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas,

I have searched the 1851 census for Annie Archer. I couldn't find an entry for "Annie Archer, born London, c1850".

There is one entry for " Ann Archer, born London, c1849" - and several for "Mary Ann Archer, born Middlesex, c1850. Ther is also an entry for " Annie Archard, born Limehouse, c1850."

I concentrated on Ann, born London. She appears with her family in 1861 - in 1871 her mother is a widow and has one daughter living with her. I can't find Ann in 1871 but she could be married - or worse.  :o

I'll post the info as it's the closest match I can find - but without a bit more information it's a shot in the dark. Maybe the names might mean something to you.

1851 Census  Hanover Square

14B Hamilton Mews

William Archer, head, 44, Coachman, Norfolk
Lydia, wife, 43, Kent
William, son, 9, Scholar, London
George, son, 7, London
Adelaide, dau, 15, Sheerness
Hannah, dau, 13, London
Rhoda,dau, 11, London
Ann, dau, 2, London
Robert South, un, 27, Groom, Kensington

HO107/1476
Folio: 195
Page: 19

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 January 06 06:10 GMT (UK) »
..actually - looking at her childrens birth records, Annies birthdate could have been between 11 Sep 1851 and 2 May 1852 (which would make her miss the 1851 census (d'oh! :-X)

Age 34 (and informant) on Mauds birth cert reg 20th Aug 1886 (birthday - 21 Aug 1851 to 20 Aug 1852)
Age 32 (father informant) on Stanley's  birth cert reg 10th Sep 1884 (birthday - 11 Sep 1851 to 10 Sep 1852)
Age 27 (father informant) on Bertie's  birth cert reg 2nd May 1879 (birthday - 3 May 1851 to 2 May 1852)
Age 28 (father informant) on Harry's birth cert reg 9th May 1881 (birthday - 10 Juy 1852 to 9 July 1853)

Of course this is presuming she hadn't bumped up her age to get married etc.

I'll see if anyone has any 1837online free....
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 06 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casliber

Had a look in the library today for your Robert and Annie marriage, no luck I'm afraid, you may just have to settle for a 'common law marriage'.

Took a look at the Directories too, the only Robert Thompson in Dunedin in 1878 was a gardener in Pine Hill, Dunedin.  The next date was 1910. Robert Thompson ,wharf Labourer, 73 Maitland Street, Dunedin.  I don't know if either of them are yours.

Sorry to be so negative, hope Archives are more sucessful for you.

Regards,
kiwi.

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 06 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking - I am beginning to suspect the marriage was common law only.
Thanks for looking in Dunedin, the earliest confirmation i have of them in Dunedin is my g/g/f Bertie's brth cert which is April 1879, when they are at  8 Cumberland St. Dunedin. In 1881 they were living at Dundas St Dunedin. In 1884, the family was living in 8 Leith St Dunedin. By 1886, Robert Thompson was a saddler living in Stafford Avenue Dunedin. In 1900, the Robert was living in Maclaggan street (while Harry, Bertie and Annie were all at 39 Russell St), and 1902 he was listed at both 39 Russell street and Maclaggan St (from the 1900 & 1902 electoral rolls). Robert is not listed in the area in 1903 (Harry, Bertie and Annie are all at 39 Russell St). There is no record of the family in 1905-6, but they are living at 39 1/2 Russell street in 1908, with a Stanley Thompson living in 39. Robert is not listed as a voter then (?died or more likely kicked out)

I sent off a request to search death certs for Robert 1902-1912 today to Archives (I figure I'll work some overtime to make up for it)
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hey Darcy and Sandy (and others),
here's another tack:

from Sandy, I got a promising st caths entry which corresponds with an IGI one:

Civil - Ann Maria ARCHER is June qtr 1852 Chelsea 1a 132

this seems to go with:  Ann Maria ARCHER born to Thomas Archer/Eleanor Elizabeth (?) 20 Mar 1847, christened 28 Sep 1851 Saint Mary, Battersea.

- thus, in 1851 is there a Thomas ARCHER with Eleanor as wife and 3/4 yr old Ann and are they around in 1861/1871 - maybe very interesting if they suddenly 'disappear' (ie. go to NZ) or not, over subsequent census entries..
Cas

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 February 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Early days you could not vote unless you owned property and I think but couldn't be sure unless I looked it up the more property you owned the more votes.

Cheers Heather

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 06 21:28 GMT (UK) »
...well now I'm flummoxed. Archives NZ have gone through the death certs for Robert Thompson from 1902-1912 and there were 3 possibles but the certs, when obtained were false leads.

Even though he is on the electoral roll for 1902 I suppose it is possible he died in 1901 and was left there otherwise..........?
Cas

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 06 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Would you like me to look up the cemetery records for that area or has that already been done for you?

I notice someone mentioned remittance man there was also women sent here because of some problem (drinking, gambling, unfortunate marriage, inappropriate social behavior. I have a friend whose grandmother was one of those. But if this was the case their would be a record of family money sent out for them to keep them out of UK.
You can never presume any certificate will have a lot of information it depended on so many different factors, whether the family knew or were literate or whether the clerk asked or was willing to fill it in for them, many variables.

Cheers Heather