Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 217503 times)

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 February 09 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Les. After a quick (but hopefully comprehensive) scan of the medal roll for the 72nd, 78th, 92nd and 25th I can't see a Robert Burton or anyone Buswell. Maybe he wasn't with the Highlanders during the campaign.

Have you found him on any census records? Birthplace, or towns where he lived might give a pointer.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline Les275

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking. I have him in Plymouth in 1872 where a child was born then in Malta in 1877 (another child) then in the census in Glasgow in 1881 described as an army pensioner. Again in the 1991 census but he is dead by 1901. I have 2 lines to follow - one the Black Watch museum in Perth ( I live within driving distance) and I will be in London in May and plan to go to Kew when I am down so here's hoping.
Thank you again for your help.
Cheers
les

Offline kridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 13 March 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a medal for the afghan war with the inscription 476 Pte C. Hart 2/8th Regt. Can anyone help with details. Thanks

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 March 09 09:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a medal for the afghan war with the inscription 476 Pte C. Hart 2/8th Regt. Can anyone help with details. Thanks

Private Charles Hart, not entitled to the Peiwar Kotal clasp (where many men of the regiment saw action in Dec 1878 - he may have been in one of the two companies who garrisoned Kohat instead). The 8th Foot saw nearly two years of service during the war, pretty much all in the Kuram Valley, under threat many times from Mangal and Jagi tribesmen. Forty men of the regiment took part in Tytler's Zaimukht expedition in Dec 1879. The regiment returned to India in Oct 1880. Hart was discharged 20 June 1881.

Best - Garen

Offline kridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 March 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :) Thanks very much for the info.

Offline BritCanadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 March 09 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Could you possibly look for the names of John James Hart, born 4 Aug 1852, and his father, William Hart, birthdate unknown. John James is my great grandfather, and his early life, before his marriage in 1879 in Rangoon, is mostly a mystery. I do recall my late mother saying that her grandfather "was in Afghanistan", but she could have been referring to her great grandfather, William Hart.

Many thanks, BritCanadian
PLACES and NAMES
Cheshire - Goodier, Rathbone, Simpson, Tilston
Cumberland - Crozier, Waugh
Dorset - Bolt, Hawkins
Devon - Dell
Essex - Hart, Miller
Hampshire - Hart
Kent - Hart
Lancashire - Goodier, Naylor, Tilston, Roberts, Willburn
Northumberland - Crozier, Waugh
Warwickshire - Willburn
Yorkshire - Willburn
Anglesey, Wales - Roberts
Australia, Victoria - Crozier, Hart
India - Crozier, Fox, Hart, Stafford, Waugh

Offline R_Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 March 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Garen

I've just found your page and wonder if you can provide me with any details regarding a member of my family who served in India.  His name was John Castle

Info so far:_

b. 1842 Nottm.
1861 census: Pte 92nd Regiment (Gordon Highlanders) at Farnborough
1871 Census: Abroad(?)
1874 His daughter born at Mooltan  (Multan) 26/4/1874
1881 Census: Back in Nottm. as a civilian.

Any details re. his enlistment, service and demob. and of his possible marriage in India would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks R_Hood
STEVENS, WESTERMAN, CORDON, SEVERN, ATKIN, SISON, DUCKINFIELD, POXON, GUMBLEY: Notts/Derby

Offline cathibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have been attempting to find out more about Sergeant George Sim of the 78th Highlanders, who was in the second Afghan War. I believe his number is 1464, as it is engraved on the side of his campaign medal. He was in Halifax Nova Scotia from 1869-1871; he married Caroline Gardner in 1871 and left Halifax. I think their children were born in Ireland, Dover, England and Poonah, India. He is said to have died of sunstroke in Afghanistan. I would like to know more about when and where he died, and his movements with the regiment. It is somewhat shocking to think that his wife moved around with him, but it clear that she did.  She eventually returned to Halifax with her children, although some seem to have returned later than she did.

If anyone can direct me to a good source, or has any information, I would be very grateful. Unfortunately I do not live in the UK so I can't hand-search any archives; I have to rely on the Internet for now.

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 June 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Could you possibly look for the names of John James Hart, born 4 Aug 1852, and his father, William Hart, birthdate unknown. John James is my great grandfather, and his early life, before his marriage in 1879 in Rangoon, is mostly a mystery. I do recall my late mother saying that her grandfather "was in Afghanistan", but she could have been referring to her great grandfather, William Hart.

Many thanks, BritCanadian

Hello BritCanadian - do you have any more info that might point to a particular regiment? For instance where was he born and where did he grow up? That may not answer the question on regiment, but might give a starting point.

Sorry for the late reply, rather a lot on my plate right now - and for this reason I'd be unable to trawl through the whole of the medal roll, so we'd need to narrow down the regiments first.

Best - Garen