Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 219043 times)

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 June 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello R_Hood

I checked the Afghan War medal roll for a John Castle in 92nd Foot and there's no sign of that surname, I'm afraid. What's the latest documentation you have of him in the 92nd? Is that 1861, or is the regt. mentioned on his marriage cert or perhaps the 1881 census (eg. 'formerly Gordon Highlanders' or pensioner 92nd Foot')? Is there anything to say he served in Afghanistan?

Getting his service record from Kew would be the next thing to do, I think.

Best - Garen

Hello Garen

I've just found your page and wonder if you can provide me with any details regarding a member of my family who served in India.  His name was John Castle

Info so far:_

b. 1842 Nottm.
1861 census: Pte 92nd Regiment (Gordon Highlanders) at Farnborough
1871 Census: Abroad(?)
1874 His daughter born at Mooltan  (Multan) 26/4/1874
1881 Census: Back in Nottm. as a civilian.

Any details re. his enlistment, service and demob. and of his possible marriage in India would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks R_Hood

Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 June 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hello cathibea

I can confirm that 1464 Sergeant George Sim of the 78th (Seaforth) Highlanders died on 5 Sept 1880 (noted on the medal roll). It is almost certain he died on the seven day march  from Sibi to Quetta - a very tough trek in rather obscene heat. Either that or he died at Quetta as a consequence of the march. The regiment halted at Quetta and had 104 men invalided through sickness - probably mostly heat related.

His wife would not have been on this march with him, but would have stayed behind in India (possibly Karachi, maybe Poona).

The 78th were called to arms for the Afghan war and left Poona on 9 Aug 1880, arriving at Karachi by ship. They left for Sibi on 24 Aug (this would have been by train), and then they marched from Sibi to Quetta. They left for Kandahar on 3rd and 23rd Nov (two groups) - by this time the hostilities were over, and only garrison duty awaited the regiment at Kandahar.

I hope this is of some help - with your permission I'd like to add Sergeant Sim to be remembered on the Afghan War memorial database?

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best - Garen

I have been attempting to find out more about Sergeant George Sim of the 78th Highlanders, who was in the second Afghan War. I believe his number is 1464, as it is engraved on the side of his campaign medal. He was in Halifax Nova Scotia from 1869-1871; he married Caroline Gardner in 1871 and left Halifax. I think their children were born in Ireland, Dover, England and Poonah, India. He is said to have died of sunstroke in Afghanistan. I would like to know more about when and where he died, and his movements with the regiment. It is somewhat shocking to think that his wife moved around with him, but it clear that she did.  She eventually returned to Halifax with her children, although some seem to have returned later than she did.

If anyone can direct me to a good source, or has any information, I would be very grateful. Unfortunately I do not live in the UK so I can't hand-search any archives; I have to rely on the Internet for now.

Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline cathibea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 June 09 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much--you have been so helpful! You may certainly add my great-grandfather's name to the Afghan War memorial database.

I have become rather captivated by the story of Sergeant Sim and his wife, Elizabeth Gardner of Musquodoboit, Nova Scotia. Apparently when the 78th left Halifax in 1871, 17 local women who had married Highlanders left with them. As I said in my previous post, children were born to Sgt and Mrs. Sim in Ireland, Dover, England, and Poona.  Given the difficulties of sea travel, and travel in general, I find it very interesting that families moved with ordinary soldiers to postings in India, where conditions at the "base", "camp", or "fort" or whatever can't have been very comfortable.

In any case, I am very happy to have the information you so kindly supplied, so I can add to what we know about their story.

Kindest regards.

Offline R_Hood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 June 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Garen

The latest I have on Private John Castle's army career is his daughter's birth certificate.  It is headed 92 Regiment of Foot and records Josephina Dexter Castle as being born on 26th April 1874 at Mooltan and baptised on 7th May 1874. Her mother was named Helen.  The Chaplain was Rev. G.W. Mant B.D. and the certificate was signed by the Adjutant R/Hoxley Lt.

I was wondering how long his term of service would be. If he enlisted in 1861 perhaps he had completed his twenty years in 1881 or possibly earlier.

A second thought was, would serving in India on or around the Afghan border at the time constitute being in the Afghan war and would he have qualified for the medal ?

I hope to be visiting Kew later in the year but would be grateful of any other help you can provide
STEVENS, WESTERMAN, CORDON, SEVERN, ATKIN, SISON, DUCKINFIELD, POXON, GUMBLEY: Notts/Derby

Offline Cadoganpier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 18 September 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to research Brigadier Sir Thomas Baker and his relation to Cedric Stansmore Baker who joined the 5th Gurkha Rifles in 1917, there has always been talk of a relationship between the two but can't find any info on Thomas d.o.b or family. I am aware Sir Thomas fought in the Second Anglo-Afghan war. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline KSD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
A member of my family is trying to find information relating to two soldiers who were in the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot:

B1395 Joseph Butler killed in action 27th July 1880 at Maiwand.  He enlisted on 30th September 1878.

588 Charles Butler died at Killa Abdoola.  Crossed frontier on 25th August 1880 at Sibi.  He enlisted on 21st August 1877.

My relative has been in contact with the National Archives at Kew but they have suggested a visit.  The information he has came from 3 rolls covering the regiment in WO100/52 at Kew.

Both soldiers are mentioned on the war memorial for the second Afghan War of 1878-1880 in Forbury Gardens, Reading.

Do you think it is possible to find out any more about these two soldiers?  Any pointers would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
  • First car through after the rains (South Africa)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 09 October 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen

I have two gg uncles in the Indian army from around 1916 onwards; one 5th Gurkha Rifles FF, and the other the 16 Rajputs (Cederick & Frederick Baker) Their father (William Henry) and family had been in India since at least the 1870's  but returned to England in the late 1890's with William dying shortly afterwards. The boys upon reaching maturity, then returned to India on maturity to join the Indian Army.

What I am trying to work out is why would they go back to India to join up during WW1 when they could have gone somewhere much closer? My hunch is that there was a family connection to the army and possibly to those regiments in particular. Looking at "Bakers" that might fit the "uncle" role and with a connection brings me to Brig-Gen TD Baker. I have no evidence to support theory at all, this so was wondering if you know anything of his family or where I might find out whether he had brother/cousin called William?

Many thanks
BAKER            Staffordshire, India, Bengal, (1880's)   
BROWNING    Kent      
LAMING            England, Dover      
SHEPPARD         England, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Warwickshire
BOURKE             Ireland (early 1800's) Merthyr, London, India/Burma

Offline trace1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 01 November 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am new to this, I had been going through some stuff in my loft and came across a medal from the second Afganistan war, not no idea which side of the family it comes from, As far back as I am aware of (about 100 years)  both sides of the family are from the Oxfordhire area i was hoping you may be able to help me.
As i have read the posts i have learnt somethings, like Chester the medal has no ribbon and has been made into a brouch. but the medal can be twisted out of the rope like edging to see details around the edge of the medal, i think part of the name is missing where the brouch was made if i give you the information, i have would you be able to help.

2142 PTE W EEJ LEY  2/9th FOOT

Thanks Tracey

Offline 66daffyduck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 07 November 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Since I was a child I have owned a leather bound Koran. Written on the inside cover it says "Taken for one of the huts Fort Tele Musfied (hard to read) - Isaac Webster 1878.

It seems that this must be the Sargent Isaac Webster that has the intruder in his tent. Do you know the place that he is refering to?