Author Topic: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80  (Read 218939 times)

Offline cnickless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never the task of one!
    • View Profile
Re: Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen,

Yes, I also got a response on the other thread that he was found on the list.

He was born in Bewdley, Worcestershire in 1849.  A bit of a mystery is that he was born with the name Benjamin but used the alias Thomas when he joined the Hussars and seems to have used this name throughout his military career but reverts back to Benjamin later on in the UK census returns.

I did go and find his records at findmypast and downloaded them.  Says he served in Afghan in late 1878 and 1879, but doesn't give any details as to what he did there.

On the other thread a kind poster told me on the Medal Roll it says in the remark "Depot" for Thomas but not sure what that means.

I have a picture of him where I think he is wearing his Afghan medal with several bars, you can't see the medal clearly but the ribbon looks right.

I can send you some biographical info if you want to add Benjamin, aka Thomas, Tomlinson to your database.

Any info you might know on him would be wonderful to hear also.

Love your site, Garen, great info there.

Regards, Cary
Nickless Family of Stourbridge, Wollaston, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Chaddesley Corbett, Upton Warren, and Bromsgrove (nicklessgenealogy.wordpress.com)
Dalloway Family of Stourbridge and Rock
Tomlinson Family of Stoke St. Milborough, Stone, and Sandon
Beazer Family of Edgbaston and Marshfield
Michie of Perthshire

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
I can give you a brief overview of what the 15th Hussars got up to in Afghanistan, Cary:

They marched on Kandahar in December 1878/January 1879, with two squadrons of the 15th seeing action en route at Takht-i-Pul and in the Ghlo Pass; they were at Kandahar for just a few days before they accompanied General Biddulph up to Khelat-i-Ghilzai, stayed there a fortnight, and then returned to Kandahar. Soon after they were sent back into the Pishin Valley, opening up a route through Yargistan and then returning to India (Mirat). They started for the Afghan border again in August 1880, pausing at Quetta and eventually reaching Kandahar after the campaign had been effectively ended by Roberts' victory at the city earlier on Sept 1st. They were back in India in October.

Out of interest, the 15th Hussars suffered greatly from the cold at the Bolan Pass on their first advance to Kandahar, and greatly from the heat at the same location on their second advance in August 1880.

The remark 'Depot' on the medal roll means that Tomlinson was, at the time of the regimental roll's compilation (August 1881), serving with one of the depot companies of the 15th Hussars rather than with one of the 'service' troops.

If you're able and willing to send some biographical info (and a copy of the photo for a mini portrait?) for the database that would be wonderful. I'm sorry I'm being a bit slow with email at the moment (just become a new dad :-)), but I am getting ready to compile some new entries soon (huge thanks to others who have recently sent info too, much appreciated - I will answer all emails eventually!).

All best - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline cnickless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never the task of one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Congrats, Garen!  :D

Thanks for all the extra info, much appreciated.  I'll send you some stuff shortly...but please no rush on your end, seems like your hands are full at the moment!
Nickless Family of Stourbridge, Wollaston, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Chaddesley Corbett, Upton Warren, and Bromsgrove (nicklessgenealogy.wordpress.com)
Dalloway Family of Stourbridge and Rock
Tomlinson Family of Stoke St. Milborough, Stone, and Sandon
Beazer Family of Edgbaston and Marshfield
Michie of Perthshire

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 28 April 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Cary.

Best - Garen

Offline Beevee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Saturday 16 July 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
I have just found this topic. My ggrandfather's brother was Albert Exon who attested for the 18th Hussars at Bristol on 13/8/1878 but transferred to the 15th on 5/3/1880. Was this because they needed to bring up the numbers?  They left for India on 10/3/1880 on the HMS JUMA. He then took part in the Afghan campaign and gained a medal. Would he have been in any actual fighting as I believe they arrived in Kandahar after the show was over. After returning to India and recovering from diahorrea he left on the Euphrates for Natal and the 1st Boer War but that's another story.

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Beevee,

Yes, basically to bring up the numbers - March 1880 saw a draft of 48 men of the 15th Hussars sent to India (aboard HMS Jumna) to join the service company who had been involved in the first campaign of the Afghan war (entering Kandahar in Jan 1879 and returning to India in May).

The regiment was called back into active service after the British defeat at Maiwand (Jul 1880) and joined General Phayre's column in August (in excessive heat) on its way to Kandahar, but being delayed at Quetta. They eventually made it to Kandahar, after the war had effectively been ended by Roberts' battle on 1 Sep, and returned to India in Oct 1880. They saw no action in their second excursion, as you say.

Best wishes - Garen

Offline Beevee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 18 July 11 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garen for that information. No glorious action to justify his medal then!
I dont know whether you want to add him to your data base but I can supply a bit more from his service record if required.
Regards Beevee

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 02:31 BST (UK) »
Cheers, Beevee - I'd love to include Albert on the database, thank you. If you'd like to email over some details, that would be great.

And I'd certainly say his medal was justified! That march through the Bolan Pass in the August heat was a real trial and saw many British soldiers perish. The fact that those who marched with Roberts from Kabul received a bronze star for their march was more than a little irksome for many who also wore their feet out on those stony plains. Although i don't know if the 15th specifically came under attack en route, many Afghan tribesmen did harry the column and caused great delay to General Phayre, so much so that a punitive column was sent against the Marris after the main conflict had been settled.

Best wishes - Garen

Offline Beevee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garen, I can't imagine what it must have been like for a young lad from a green and sleepy village in Somerset who had never been further than the next village to have been plunged into the heat and savagery of Afghanistan. I imagine he was quite a centre of attention down at the pub when he came back. Where can I read up about the trek of the column that included the 15th Hussars? Thanks again and I will add to your database when I get home from holiday. Beevee