Author Topic: Thomas & Harriet Simmons (nee Pilbeam)  (Read 15986 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Harriet Simmons (nee Pilbeam)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila

Have now found Thomas under the name of Simons, baptism date 19 May 1816 at Penhurst Church.  Parents Thomas and Ann.  So Thomas and my Sarah were siblings and they married Pilbeam siblings. 

Yesterday I went onto the LDS website and put in Thomas Simmons (father) with a date of 1786 and came away with a load of stuff going back about 4 generations.  I don't know how correct it is but if you want the information let me know.  Thomas was born 1786 in Brightling, not far from Penhurst.  He had a younger brother Richard, as I suggested born 1788.  His father appears to be called Richard as well.  Sylvestor must be a family name.  Richard married Elizabeth or Betsy in 1809. 

I want to find out now when Thomas married Ann and who she was.

Speak soon.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Really sorry I haven't replied recently, I have been so busy at work.  Thank you for the latest information, you must be thrilled at finding your Sarah.  So Thomas and Sarah were siblings, Ann and Thomas being their parents, that is excellent news.  Ann and Thomas would have been my Great Great Great Grandparents and I would assume they are your Great Great Great Great Grandparents.  The grave at Wartling is most likely our Ann and Thomas, would you have the grave reference number?
Yes please to any further information, though I do feel rather guilty as you seem to be doing most of the work.
I will now update my database and digest the latest information.
Please could you tell what the LDS website, I'm not sure I have visited that one.

Many Thanks

Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila

The most thrilling bit was proving that Sarah and Thomas were siblings and married Pilbeam siblings.  I long had believed that to be so.

Now that I have proved the Wartling Thomas is 'our' Thomas I am going to go back to Wartling and photograph the graves.  I will send you copies.  Probably next week.

I attach the information I found on the Simmons family.  Please note I don't know how accurate it is before checking it all.  The information came from www.familysearch.org the website set up by the LDS (Latter Day Saints), a very good website resource for family historians.  I have found a lot of information on there about my family but I always like to check it out for myself.  This website is worth a visit though, most of the information is quite accurate.

By the way I wonder if we are related via the Payne's as well.  I have Payne family across the Kent/Surrey border in Lingfield and East Grinstead, part of a huge family apparently!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Thank you for the information, I will spend the rest of the evening writing it all up.  I would love a photo of the grave, though I will when I get time, visit Wartling myself.  My earliest photograph of a member of the Simmons family would have been Albert Simmons c1878, he would have been Thomas and Harriets Grandson.  I would say he looks approx 60years old and the photograph probably taken in  1939/1940.  If you like a copy for your tree I will be happy to send it to you.
I haven't carried out much research with the Paynes.  William Payne 1844 my mothers paternal Grandfather was born in Chatham, he married a Rachel Pilcher.   Would be strange if there was a link in that direction.

Kind Regards

Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila

Yes please to a photo of Albert, though he is not a direct ancestor of mine, it is always interesting to pad the tree out with as much information about the family as possible. 

Kerry

Offline Lucy Beale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 21 November 05 00:36 GMT (UK) »
RUTH MARY3 SIMMONS (WILLIAM JUGGINS2, THOMAS1)1 was born February 15, 1855 in St. Leonards On Sea, Sussex, and died June 2, 1921 in Ilford, Essex, England

The above could be related to the Ashburnam, Simmons as they are a family from an ancestoral farming background?

Lucy

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 November 05 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy

thanks for the information, I haven't come across her yet but the Simmons is turning out to be quite a big family.  So far I have managed to find Thomas Simmons, father, Thomas and his father Richard both born in Brightling.  I also found his father Thomas born in Brightling 1730 and then the trail has gone cold. 

It could well be that one of the children moved away from Brightling and is the line Ruth is from, I will keep my eyes open. 

Kerry

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 November 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Thank you for the information that you sent.  Yesterday I visited the LDS website, to view Brightling Thomas 1786, it revealed Richard Simmons & Lucy ? being the parents of brothers Thomas and Richard.  It also showed that (father) Richard's Simmons parents were Thomas Simmons and Grace Parks.  Today I searched the web-site again and it now seems that Thomas Simmons (1786) parents were Richard Simmons and Lucy Morgan, with no sign of the brother Richard or the grandparents, Thomas and Grace.   Please could you let me know which if any of the information is correct.

Many thanks

Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 November 05 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila

Yes I found that, there seems to be 2 sets of records on that website for the family, one complete and one imcomplete.

Richard Simmons married Lucy Morgan 1785, actually according to the SMI in Burwash not Brightling.  I also found a record of Richard marrying Elizabeth Snepp on 29 October 1809 at Penhurst.  This is the son of Richard and Lucy and brother to Thomas.  That was found on SMI too.

I think I found some census records for Richard and Elizabeth but need to go back and recheck.

By the way I got to Wartling and too photos of the graves, but the types of stone they were, they have not come out terribly well.  I found Thomas, Ann and James wife - Emma, and Joseph.  I will see if I can improve them and send to you.

Kerry