Author Topic: Is Steepleton House a "special" School  (Read 913 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Is Steepleton House a "special" School
« on: Sunday 28 August 05 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have asked this in a roundabout way on another topic (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=83973.new;topicseen#new) - but here goes again!!

I have found Eliza Walker in the 1881 census living at Steepleton House, Steepleton Preston, Dorset as an inmate - the place is run by 3 sisters who list their occupation as " Peer's Daughters" - also at the same place is a Matron of a "Home" - most of the other inmates are young and from London
The reference is RG11 2089 / 17 page 26

What sort of place is this - a school - a home for sick children or what I hope(!) a home for illegitimate children. This would then explain why my possible grandmother is in Dorset and not in London!!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Steepleton House a "special" School
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 12:57 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the entries Keith and the impression I have is that it is a school. Boarding of course and therefore has a Matron to oversee the servants. Interesting that the majority of the children are from London  and it makes me wonder if it was a school for children with a certain illness such as TB. Maybe it was maintained by a charity in London.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk