Author Topic: 1851 Census - Great Houghton - Waterton - COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 Census - Great Houghton - Waterton - COMPLETED with thanks
« on: Monday 29 August 05 17:27 BST (UK) »
Could SKS possibly help me with a look up of my WATERTON family in Great Houghton 1851 as follows:

Charles (father) age 47
Frances wife age (approx) 40
Charles son 4
Elizabeth dau 3
Frances dau 1

In 1861 they were at New Inn, Main Street, parish Houghton Magna, Reg District Hemsworth.

As always any help much appreciated  ;)

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Starry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Great Houghton - Waterton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
Great  Houghton

Charles Waterton, head, 48, Farmer + Publican, born Great Houghton
Frances, wife, 40, Farmer + Publican's wife, born Clayton
Mary, daur, 10, born Great Houghton
Ann, daur, 9, born Great Houghton
Caroline, daur, 7, born Great Houghton
William, son, 6, born Great Houghton
Eliza, daur, 5, born Great Houghton
Charles, son, 4, born Great Houghton
Frances, daur, 3mth, born Great Houghton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Roberts - Cleckheaton

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 05 22:48 BST (UK) »
Starry,

That's great - thank you very much for your help.

Pinetree  ;D

Offline soubois

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mum was very young
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Mary Waterton age 10 in 1851 in this household is my GG grandmother.  Did you have any luck tracking the family back any further?

Also as Charles Waterton of Walton Hall, the explorer and naturalist lived within 10/15 miles I wonder if there is a connection with that family - if so that tree goes back to medeival times.  Our Charles W could be a poor relation?

Soubois

Tomlinson Waterton Priestley Underwood Armitage Travis

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soubois,

Thanks for the message and welcome to Rootschat.

I don't have a great deal on this line and most of what I do have is from census, IGI etc.  Looking at the parish records is on my to do list.

Mary's sister Elizabeth was my other half's 2xGr Grandmother she married Joseph BLACKBURN in 1870 in Wigginton York and died in Haxby in 1915.  Elizabeth was with her maternal grandparents Jonathan and Hannah WHITE at the time of the 1851 census so does not appear on the above list.

Did Mary marry John Tomlinson?

I have Charles' parents as William Waterton and Hannah Cope married 17 Dec 1793 Ferry Fryston.  From 1841 census William was born 1765-1770 in Yorkshire.

I have a bit more information if you would be interested just let me know.

I did not know about the Watertons of Walton Hall before - that would be an interesting connection  ;)

All the best,

Pinetree

Offline soubois

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mum was very young
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pinetree,

Yes Mary married John Tomlinson, a gamekeeper who sadly was killed by poachers in his thirties.  My Grandmother, Frances Mary Tomlinson wrote (in the 1970s) the following about the Waterton connection, the Tomlinsons and the family pub in Great Houghton. You will see that she had heard that there was possibly some noble connection and that the Great Houghton pub was in the 1900's run by one of Mary Waterton's sons - Herbert Tomlinson.

Ref the other Charles Waterton see this website http://www.jss.org.uk/cw/Charles_Waterton/family-tree.htm.  Which does have some sibling data going back a couple of generations from Charles Waterton the explorer's line. So the question is can we find William in there?

From my grandmother's memoirs (which I paste unaltered although I think there are a few errors):

"To begin at the beginning of the Family Tree as far as I know it I should mention that my Great Grandfather, Charles Waterton was born in 1801 and died in 1879. My Grandfather's name was John Tomlinson - he worked at Wentworth, Yorkshire, where he was an Under Gamekeeper, then he moved to Hooton Pagnall and was Head Gamekeeper for Sir Richard Green. Unfortunately he was attacked by poachers, injured badly and died in Doncaster Infirmary. He is buried in Doncaster Cemetery, that is why he is not with his wife and my mother and father in the grave in Darfield Churchyard. My grandmother, Frances Mary Tomlinson (maiden name Waterton) moved to Great Houghton Old Hall after her husband's death and stayed with an Aunt (the Old Hall is now demolished and a new inn built in its place called by the same name). Subsequently she moved to a small Grocer's shop (still in existence as I write) in Pinfold Lane, Darfield. This shop has an Off-License. My grand-mother was born in 1841 and died in May 1898 the same year that I was born.   

I went to Hooton Pagnall on my recent visit to Darfield and my cousin Basil showed me the house where my Aunt Blanche and my father were born. Hooton Pagnall is a very picturesque little village and the house, made of stone, is quite outstanding - a large dwelling with numerous dormer windows.

I have got the impression from one of my old Aunts that blue blood flowed through the veins of some ancestors, on my father's side, but how far back it is impossible to say! Of course, we might even find some skeletons in some of the old cupboards as well!!

Grandmother Tomlinson had five daughters, Frances, Annie, Miriam, Eliza and Blanche and two sons Herbert and Fred (my father). They all married except Eliza and Blanche. Blanche became a Head Mistress and her sister Eliza a teacher under her.

On occasions we went to Yorkshire to stay with my Father's brother, Uncle Herbert and his wife and family. Uncle Herbert was the Licensee of the Inn called The Old Hall, which I have already mentioned. It was a big, rather impressive building, or so it seemed to me as a child, and had a lot of passages and large rooms. There was a picture gallery and concert room with a stage at one end. This room was upstairs and we children used to like to play up there because there was a massive rocking horse and plenty of space to run around and play hide-&-seek. "

Regards to your other half, a distant cousin, noting that if a connection is made with the noble Waterton's of Walton Hall, a curtsy would not go amiss every now and again!
Possible we may have communicated on genes-reunited.

Thanks for your prompt response.
Soubois

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 09 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Soubois

Thank you for posting your grandmother's memoirs.  It really adds to the lists of names and dates when you have first hand accounts of the "real" people.

I have very little information about Elizabeth not even a photograph.  She had 10 children all of whom survived to adulthood.

I hope one day to spend more time on this line but the registers seem to be dotted about a bit, Leeds, Wakefield and Doncaster, it will take a bit of planning to decide where to start!

I don't think we have been in touch before I have not ventured onto Genes-reunited.

Thank you again for getting in touch and if I find out any more I will certainly let you know.

All the best,

Pinetree

P.S.  If we ever find a connection to Walton Hall I might not mention it to hubby - all that curtsying could be bad for the knees  ;D

Offline soubois

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mum was very young
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 March 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pinetree,

Thanks and likewise, I'll let you know if I get any further with this line.

Soubois

Offline Sproutman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - Great Houghton - Waterton - COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 15 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you have access to Facebook have a look at Great Houghton History group page. You'll find lots of old articles and pictures relating to Great Houghton and lots of The Old Hall Inn.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatHoughtonHistoryGroup