Author Topic: THE GALLS of WOODHILL, BARRY  (Read 14133 times)

Offline Nancy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THE GALLS of WOODHILL, BARRY
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 December 15 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi jane,

Id love to visit the places they lived but dont know if i could do it in 2016. I would also love to see any photos. Im living in western australia.   

Offline Jane Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 December 15 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nancy,

Certainly I can send you the photos I have and the family tree kindly sent to me by Keith Scott (Gall) who has done an extensive search into his Scott side and Gall (he is related to Mary Gall who married James Scott and moved to NZ).  I assume you know him as he lived in Sydney and is now back in New Zealand.  Unfortunately, I don't have his new contact details.
Can you send your email address to mine:  (*)
I think it would be easier for me to send you all photos etc via this.

Best wishes,
Jane

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline davidagall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,Have just come across your post on Roots chat re George Gall. George was my g/ grandfather, the account of his death can be found in the Dumbarton herald October 14th 1869, and reads>fatal boat accident. on Friday afternoon, two men in the service of the Duke of Montrose proceeded to Inchmurrin in a boat to take a cow to the mainland on the Buchanan side of Loch Lomond, on the return voyage the cow became restive and ultimately leaped out of the boat dragging with it the herd who had a rope attached to its head, the man left in the boat which was fortunately not capsized was unable to render any assistance to his companion who seems to have been hurt in being dragged out of the boat as he only once came to the surface, the body of the deceased was recovered the same evening. The cow contrived we understand to swim back to the island. The conveying of cattle to and from the islands on Loch Lomond in open boats seems to be attended with great danger, and this fatal casualty may be expected to lead to the introduction of some safer plan. My father and myself both worked on the Buchanan estate until the late 1960s. I have the full family tree going back to 1674 with many of the certificates. DA Gall.

Offline Nancy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 February 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, its absolutely wonderful to hear from you especially as you actually worked on the Buchanan Estate!  What was it like working there and did they improve the way they conveyed cattle?

When I first started researching family historu, I was terribly sad to learn that my 2x great grandfather had drowned in Loch Lomond.  Family history doesn't always bring great stories to life but some sad ones as well.  In fact, some of my French Canadian ancestors were massacred by Indians!

Mary Gall is my great grandmother.  I think she was 14 when her father drowned.  It seems some of the Scotts didn't approve of james scott and Mary getting married so they married at Buchanan with very few people being there and two days later were on The Nelson, sailing to the south island of New Zealand.

They did really well in Gimmerburn and had two farms, Diamond Hill and Idaburn.  As a child I lived at Idaburn  which I loved so I lived in the same house as Mary Gall although I never knew her.

I would absolutely love to have a copy of the full family history.  i think Jane Spencer would too.  I will try and work out the system to give you my email address. I certainly would like to know more about your life, Buchanan and the Galls.

Offline Jane25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi. I believe I am related to you. My great grandfather was George Gall. He was born at Ibert Drymen, married Jessie Lowe and went on to become stationmaster at Whistlefield Garelochhead. His son Robert Gall was my grandfather who married Jane Hepburn of Garelochhead. They had one daughter, Mary Gall and I am her eldest daughter. I have enjoyed reading your family info especially as I have been researching my family tree.

Offline Nancy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
You certainly are!  Your great grandfather George was my great grandmother Mary Gall's younger brother! And you will be related to others on this site.

Your George got married ten years after his older sister Mary left for New Zealand.
He did brilliantly to become a Stationmaster in those difficult times.

Regards
Nancy

Offline Jane25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 May 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have been checking up on some facts about my grandfather Robert Gall. He did an apprenticeship in joinery at a small village very near to Drymen called Croftamie and while there he appears to have either visited or even stayed with his Auntie Ann in Milton of Buchanan, between Drymen and Balmaha. I believe Auntie Ann is Ann McGregor. Just another wee snippet of information. If I remember any more I'll get back to you.