Author Topic: THE GALLS of WOODHILL, BARRY  (Read 14132 times)

Offline jmgrgr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: THE GALLS of WOODHILL, BARRY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 07 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry. I really screwed that up.
- Jane married John Sutherland in 1866 and they raised seven children in Dunbartonshire; Andy Gibson is the descendant I was able to find in Rootsweb, not Keith Scott.
- Agnes Gall and William Clark Gall both seemed to have died as children. 
- William Gall married Sarah Ferguson McGillvray in 1888.
- Ann Gall married Robert McGregor in 1874. I'm descended from their only son.
- Mary Gall married James Laird Scott in 1879. They left for New Zealand the next day and had nine children. Keith Scott is their descendant, not Ian Hodges.
- Margaret Lumgair Gall married Samuel McDiarmid in 1875.
- David Gall married Mary Gourlay. Like his father and Robert McGregor, he worked at Ibert Home Farm,Drymen and Buchanan Smithy,Buchanan  for the Duke of Montrose but died in 1949 at Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
- George Gall married Jessie Lowe in 1889.
- May Martin Gall married Robert Candlish in 1892.

I also mentioned Ian Hodges. He is related to Robert McGregor's sister-in-law. Robert's brother Duncan McGregor married Ann MacGregor of Aberfoyle in 1856.

George Gall, Sr was working at Buchanan Castle Estate of the Duke of Montrose by 1861, when his son David was born. George drowned in Loch Lomond in 1869. Duncan McGregor was working on the Estate by 1869, when his daughter Janet was born.  By the 1871 Census, Robert was living at the Ibert Home Farm (now called Buchanan Home Farm) Bothy in Drymen Parish. The ninth hole of the Buchanan Castle Golf Course is called Ibert. 

SCOTLAND
ANS: Gall/Gaul at Tannadice and Inverarity; Souter/Soutar/Soutor at Airlie; Clark at Arbroath; Ogilvie
CLK: Vallance
FIF: Scott at Letham; Reekie at Newburgh and Falkland; Morice/Morris; Clough/Clow
PER: M'Grigor/M'Gregor/MacGregor at Killin, Balquhidder and Callander; Ferguson at Callander; Clark/Clerk/Clarke at Killin and Errol; McCallum; Scott at Dunbarney
STI: McGregor/MacGregor at Buchanan and Drymen; Gall at Buchanan and Drymen

Offline gallgeo49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 14 15:21 GMT (UK) »
The George Gall who drowned in Loch Lomong in 1869 was my 3rd grandfather. I am trying to find any record of the circumstances of the drowning ,can you help
thanks gallgeo49

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The George Gall who drowned in Loch Lomong in 1869 was my 3rd grandfather. I am trying to find any record of the circumstances of the drowning ,can you help
thanks gallgeo49

Have you got the death certificate? If not, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in 30 credits at modest cost, and use 6 of them to find and download the death certificate. This may or may not have a stamp or note in the left margin indicating the existence of an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE). If so, use another 2 credits to see what it tells you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gallgeo49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 December 14 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the death certificate which unfortunately just states "drowned Loch Lomond"but I am hoping to find more detailed info.
I have just started researching a whole generation of my Gall ancestors who lived and worked in the Drymen/ Buchlyvie area most of them worked at Ibert Farm/Buchanan home farm and resided at Buchanan Smithy Buchlyvie. My 2nd grand father George Gall was born in Buchlyvie and I believe worked at Balfron Station before he got the job of station master at the newly built station at Whistlefield Garelochhead in 1896 whence he created the next generations in this area.
Thanks for your help

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 December 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I had a rake around in the Gale 19th century newspapers but found nothing there. You could try the British Library Newspaper colection, which is more extensive.

The Glasgow Herald archive is online, but incomplete and unindexed, so you'd have to start with the day after the death and work through them to see if you can find anything. I have forgotten exactly where, but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to remind me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Nancy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
George gall was drowned in Loch Lomond while working for the duke of Montrose.  They were herding cattle across the lake using two boats when George tried to jump into the second boat to control some cattle.  He went under and never surfaced.

Offline Jane Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cousin,
My name is Jane Spencer and my Grandmother was Mary Jean Gall (born in Buchannon Smithy) her father (my grandfather David Gall).  My great, great grandfather was also George Gall who was drowned.  I have a family tree that was sent to me covering most of the Galls. I have visited George's grave and the Buchannon estate houses where they lived - beautiful.
I very much hope you will contact me so that we can exchange information and photos.
Very best wishes,
Jane

Offline Nancy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to meet you cousin.  Mary Gall was my great grandmother, born at Woodhill, Barry, and George Gall was my 2x great grandfather.  In the 1871 census Mary Gall was 14 years old and there is a David Gall who was her younger brother.  He was 9.  is he your relative?  Keith is also my cousin.

Offline Jane Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 November 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nancy?
My gt, gt grandfather/grandmother was George Gall (who drowned) and Jane Clark.
My gt grandfather was their son David who married Mary Gourlay. My grandmother is their daughter Mary Jean (not mentioned in Keith Scott's tree as Mary Jean was not in the census as she had left home to work).  I am in contact with her brother William's daughter Nancy who has given me some photos.  William went with his father David from Drymen to a farm they bought in Lanark.
I would like to visit Drymen again next year 2016.  It would be wonderful if we could arrange a Gall Clan get together.   

I would really like to chat to find out more information and family tales.  So many of us have been given family first names.
Looking forward to hearing from as many Galls as possible.

Best wishes,
Jane