Author Topic: scotts newcastleton/hawick/galashiels cannonbie  (Read 3355 times)

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
scotts newcastleton/hawick/galashiels cannonbie
« on: Thursday 01 September 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi trying to find out more info on any of the persons listed below.
Robert Scott b abt 1770 married Betty Renwick b abt1760 in Hawick on 05/04/1794 they had the following children:
James Scott b24/03/1795 Galashiels
Michael b06/01/1799 Melrose
Robert b 30/04/1800 Melrose
George b06/02/1806 Galashiels

Michael Married Ann Hume b c 1801 at Hawick on the 16/11/1824 and had the following children:
Robert b c 1826
James b c 1830
John b c 1832
William b c 1836
George b c 1839
They were living at  Shutlehall (nr Hawick I think) in 1841 Michael was a stocking maker.

George Married Isabella Armstrong b 28/06/1845 they married at Cannonbie 19/02/1869 and had the following children :
Hellen (Nellie) b c 1870 Newcastleton
Ann (annie) b c 1872 Newcastleton
Mary b c 1874 Newcastleton
Elizabeth (Betsy) b c 1876
Michael b c 1879 Langholm
John b c 1881 Langholm
This family were living at Bogg Cottage Canonbie in 1881 where George was an agricultural laborer.

Ann gave birth to Elizabeth on 17/08/1885  at Newcastleton father unknown don't know if she had any more children of if she ever got married.

Elizabeth gave birth to George on 27/12/1904 at Newcastleton Father unknown.
i know that she had other children Archibald and John both illegitimate and also a David whom she had when she married a Dick Bell from Langholm which i can't find a marriage registered for she died at Langholm on 04/03/1966.

If anyone can help with any info i would be really grateful .
I can't seem to connect my people with any other Scott's in the area, so am hoping someone recognizes someone.

Thanks Lesley.
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: scotts newcastleton/hawick/galashiels cannonbie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 05 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am not sure if it will help you or not, but I found the following family in the 1851 census for Hawick.

Raesknowe
Michael Scott - Head - Married - 51- Stockingmaker - Roxburgh, Melrose
Ann Scott - Wife - Married - 52 - Stockingmaker's wife - Roxburgh, Hawick
Robert Scott - Son - Unmarried - 26 - Stockingmaker - Roxburgh, Hawick
Peter Scott - Son - Unmarried - 24 - Farm Labourer - Roxburgh, Hawick
James Scott - Son - Unmarried - 21 - Farm Labourer - England
William Scott - Son - Unmarried - 15 - Scholar - Roxburgh, Hawick
George Scott - Son - 12 - Scholar - Roxburgh Hawick.

I noticed that there is no John there but there is a Peter!

The problem you might have is that Scott is a very common name in that area.  There are over 500 listed in the 1851 census for Hawick alone.

I have Scotts in my family, but I don't know much about them as yet.  I also have Humes from Hawick in my tree.  Do you have any more information on your Ann Hume?

Also, do you have any information on who Michael's siblings may have married?  I have looked for them in the Hawick and Castleton census for 1851, but can't seem to see them.  I'm afraid I don't have copies of any other Roxburghshire census for that time to check on those for you.

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: scotts newcastleton/hawick/galashiels cannonbie
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 10:39 BST (UK) »
hi Clare, thanks for that info I suppose Peter could have been living somewhere else in the 1841 Census I also noticed that James was born in England . But it does look as though it could be my family. I have looked on Scotland's people but it will cost fortune if i don't have more info to go on as you say there are hundreds of Scott's and they all seem to have the same Christian names!
As far as the Hume's go I found the death of Ann she died at New castleton on the 19/04/1870 age 73 Father Peter Hume, Mother Betsy Hume (ms Dinwoodie she died of Inflammation of lungs and something of heart. four weeks signed by Peter Scott son . Ann and Michael were married at Hawick on the 16/11/1824. I did a search on lds and came up with Jean Hume b march 1800 and Peggy Hume b now 1805 both in the Parrish of Cavers.

I don't know any of the Scott marriages except for George he married Isabella Armstrong at Cauldside? Canonbie on 19/02/1869  for children of this couple see original message.
I also have quite a bit of info on Robert b 30/04/1800 Melrose if you want that get back in touch.

regards Lesley.
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.