Author Topic: BEBSIDE COLLIERY THOMAS WARD  (Read 7597 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BEBSIDE COLLIERY THOMAS WARD
« on: Saturday 03 September 05 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know where I can obtain burial info for Bebside area for 1860s and can anyone help me find death of my gg grandfather Thomas Ward who died between 1861 and 1868? Thomas' wife Mary died aged 36 on 29/07/1868 so they may be noted together in a burial book.
I cannot locate Thomas' death at all

Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BEBSIDE COLLIERY THOMAS WARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 05 15:47 BST (UK) »
Anne,

Depended on religion.

Before 1850/60s burials were a matter for church graveyards and different religions.

Bebside Colliery village lay within the Cowpen "township", which lay within the area of the ancient Parish of Horton.

So Anglicans who lived and died in Bebside, were buried in Horton church graveyard.

Bebside Roman Catholics were buried in the graveyard of the Church of St Cuthbert's in Cowpen village.

But nationwide problems with burials ( overcrowding, public health risks) brought about a changes from 1850s.

These mainly involved the creation of "civil" cemeteries.

The civil cemetery created for the area that included Bebside Colliery, was Cowpen Cemetery ( lying between Cowpen and Blyth)

Records of Church and Civil burials are generally held in Northumberland County Record Office ( at Morpeth).

But NCRO has just closed for about twelve months as it prepares for a move to a family heritage centre, merging with Woodhorn Colliery Museum ( near Ashington), to open in late 2006.  ( All this lottery financed)

Many, but not all, of the NCRO records, have been placed in Morpeth Public Library for perusal.

Blyth Public Library ( 3 miles east of Bebside) has an unofficial index of Horton graveyard.... but it is in grave order, not surname order.

I frequent Blyth library and will have a browse for your Wards soonish.

So if Thomas Ward was Church of England and died in 1860s, it is likely he is in Horton Churchyard.

Michael Dixon.
Bebside Colliery-born
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
Michael

That's really useful information as I have been getting confused with Horton and Cowpen-I know Thomas' son (my g grandfather, Robert Ward) is interred in Cowpen Cemetery (1945) but not necessarily with a gravestone.

I know Blyth Library is good as a friend turned up some newspaper bits about Robert and they seem very helpful.

My Wards would definitely by C of E rather than Roman Catholic.

Many thanks,  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Anne,

Today in Horton Parish Church burial register ( Tyne & Wear Archives, Newcastle) I saw the entry for Mary Ward's Burial....

" Mary Ward of Bebside Colliery, buried 2 Aug 1868, 36 yrs"

I could not see trace of death/burial of Thomas.

But still have to look in graveyard plots index.

Michael Dixon
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:59 BST (UK) »
Michael

You have been most kind to me; Thomas has been having a bit of a laugh at me I fear but I am pretty certain now he died 1864 aged about 36 (receipt of cert I ordered will confirm); strangely, their son (my g grandfather) lived to be 91!

I will be passing area this Friday (en route from Scotland to Cambridge)-is there anywhere you recommend I call in to look at near Horton?

As per your mail of the other day, what faith was Horton at this time?

Kindest regards for your assistance

Anne Ward

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 20:44 BST (UK) »
Anne,

Horton was/is C of E.

In the business of looking into church records in 1800s, the expression  "Parish" was applied ONLY to C of E.

Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians were referred to as " Non-Comformists". ( There is a lot of history behind this)

Even today, Northumberland County Record Office
( Morpeth) files church records under separate headings..."Parish Records" for C of E, and "Non-Conformists" for the other denominations.

By the way in 1850/60s terms, a pretend Postal Address for Bebside would have been....

Front Row,
In the Colliery Village of Bebside,
In the Township* of Cowpen,**
In the Parish of Horton,
In the County of Northumberland.

*The word "township" here is not connected with "town", but is a sub-division of a parish.

** Cowpen was one of five "townships" that made up the territory of Horton Parish.

Tonight in Blyth Library, I saw your Wards in 1861 Census.

Piece 3850 Folio 89 Page 56
Bebside, Cowpen Township, Horton Parish
Head Thomas Ward, 35, coal miner, born Ryton
Wife, Mary Ward, 29, b.Ponteland.
Son, Joseph Ward, 8, b. Chester-le-Street.
Son, Robert Ward, 6, b.Bedlington.

Also browsed through the Index for Horton Parish Churchyard cemetery. But no Wards... but lots of
" Stone face down".

For photo of Bebside Colliery pithead, go to www.dmm.org.uk  and choose " mines" from left-hand menu, the go to Bebside.

Michael Dixon

Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 21:09 BST (UK) »
Kind thanks again-your info and help have been invaluable-that's my thomas the one you found in the census-there should be two more kids on there (John born in Earsdon) and thomas born in Bebside Horton.

Thanks for checking the stones as well-I don't suppose they would have afforded a stone but at least I may be able to stop there and pay my tributes.

I intend to come to Blyth Library soon as it seems most helpful!

Thanks again Michael, Anne

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 April 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Seemingly I'm 11 years late to this party but I'd really like to get in touch with you Anne. I have just recently started doing the tree, and seemingly we'd be related. I descend from Robert Wards brother Thomas (1860-1934) who had 2 sons Thomas (1889-1946) and Joseph (1894-1944) Joseph would be my great grandfather. Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes
Megan

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clara Vale

Sorry, I haven't been on Rootschat for ages and didn't get this message.  It would be great if we were connected. Is your Thomas son of Thomas and Mary? Brother of Joseph, Robert and John William and of Mary Jane?

Look forward to hearing from you,  Anne Ward