Author Topic: Thomas Cullinan, Claregalway  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Cullinan, Claregalway
« on: Saturday 03 September 05 23:36 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on a Thomas and Mona ( nee Cordial ) Cullinan married at St. Jame's on 4.2.1855. They had one daughter to my knowledge called Honoria baptised 7.12.1855
Brian1
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cullinan, Claregalway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian-I know it's a few years since you done this post! & you may have found all the info you need but just in-case you haven't & info may always be of use to some one else reading your post.I'm sure Thomas & William Cullinan of Waterdale are brothers. William married Mary Qualter in 1855,they then had a son Thomas born 1858 . Thomas then married Catherine Kelly also of Waterdale Claregalway in 1887 .Cheers Nipy

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Nipy,
Sorry it been a while since I was on Roots Chat. Just to say thanks and your probably right about about Thomas and William being brothers. Still no further on with any detail of the family.
Many thanks
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,good to hear from you,I was in Ireland earlier this year & I meet a gentleman while I was looking around the cemetery of Annaghdown,I explained that I  was trying to trace my family ,he was of great help to me ,he. told me that often people from Waterdale were buried at Cregg cemetery (old Cregg which I found in the middle of a field.)He told me both his Grandparents & Parents were buried in Cregg's it was only when I returned home  & done some more research that I realized that this gentleman was more important to me then I 'd realized  as his surname was Cullinan,so when I visit Co Galway again I shall look for his family graves & see if I can find any more leads,plus I shall see if I can track Mr Cullinan down as I'm so sure he can tell me a lot more, he was 82yrs.Brian did you get to visit old Cregg cemetery when you were in Claregalway?regards Nipy

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nipy,
Sorry it been a while since your last posting but I have been away of late. Thanks for the info and it was a bit of a coincident meeting a Cullinan on your last trip.
The only cemetary I visited whilst in Clare Galway was the one across the bridge near to the Abbey ruins. I did meet the author of the ClareGalway book which lists all of the familes living in the different townlands at the time of the Griffith valuation tables.
Reards
Brian

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian,hope all is going well with your family history, I posted a couple of photo's of the old Cregg cemetery under Waterdale grave yards here on the Galway boards,I was really pleased to find this old cemetery as my Great grand parents are buried there (I did find there graves),only thing I didn't get long there as it was pouring rain & I was worried in case the car may get stuck in the field.The Claregalway book is brilliant & so interesting,Regards Nipy

Offline Paddt54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 12 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nipy,
Sorry it been a while since your last posting but I have been away of late. Thanks for the info and it was a bit of a coincident meeting a Cullinan on your last trip.
The only cemetary I visited whilst in Clare Galway was the one across the bridge near to the Abbey ruins. I did meet the author of the ClareGalway book which lists all of the familes living in the different townlands at the time of the Griffith valuation tables.
Reards
Brian

Ah Chara Brian,

If that's the Lackagh Old Cemetery on the Claregalway - Rosscommon Road & adjacent to the ruins of an Abbey then there are Cullinans' interned in a family mausoleum there.  Recently refurbished as part of a 'make work' scheme there are indecipherable inscriptions on the side walls.

The (e) floats in & out of the family name over the decades.   

Martin of 'Waterview' Ballybrone Townland, Turloughmore.  An 'Island' Townland of Athenry Parish, A G.grandfather of mine.   Have a copy of his 1854 prenuptial 'Deed of Marriage'

Martin of 'Mount Browne' Abbeyknockmoy Parish  A Grandfather to today's (2012) John & Martin both resident at 'Mount Brown'.  This family have been in residence at MB for over 300 years.

These 1850's Martins had different wives so they might be brothers/cousins/uncle-nephew

The 'Waterview' Martin was a part owner of 'Mount Browne' with John & Thomas Cullinan(e)

Griffiths gives data on a bevy of Cullinan families.

Thomas of Derrymaclaughna.   Is this the same Thomas mentioned above and was he yet another brother/cousin to John & Martin?

Michael resided at 'Caherhugh House', Tuam.   This Townland was the family seat of Patrick Dunne-Cullinane.
He became the 1st Catholic President of the Royal Dublin Society (RDS Ballsbridge) & played the leading role in the !st Irish motion picture "Irish Destiny"    Well known as PDC.   Born a Cullinane he amended his name to include his mother's surname as a mark of respect to her.

PDC's family seat was 'Carrolstown' Trim Co. Meath. & later in life 'Knockdrin' Castle Mullingar.

There were also Cullinan relatives in South Africa, but NOT Sir Thomas Cullinan who has the diamond named after him.

See the NUI Landed Estates database for a 'pen picture' of some of these holdings and photographs.

Family motto is 'Mullaer a Boo'{sp}   Uppermost Ever.

Will be in Galway in July, 2012.

Any Joy!

Cheers

Chris Cullinan

Offline Greg.treston

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
To Chris Cullinan
I note you supplied  the photo of Caharhugh Hse to Landed Estates site - Thanks it is nice to have.
My great gran was Minnie Cullinane, daughter of Michael Cullinane of Caherhugh Hse born 1852 and married to Richard Hugh Carter(1852-1906) in 1875. Her only surviving son Joseph Stanislaus Carter (1876-1938) was my grandfather.
Do you have details on Minnie's mother - Michael's wife? And Minnie's siblings?
Or any pieces of the Cullinane tree?
Any help appreciated
Many Thanks
Greg Treston

Offline apricotnelli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have come to this thread a bit late but am researching Thomas Cullinan of tuam  who married Bridget (Delia) Kelly in 1850 in Tuam daughter of Patrick Kelly Grove house.He then ended up living in Lackagh in 1854 as his son Charles Vincent was christened there. He also had a son Joseph. I really havent been able to find much out about this family Thomas seems to have been well off he paid large sums at the time for wedding and baptisms. He is clearly related to Michael but how I am not sure. (Michael of DerryMaclaghna was trustee on his marriage settlement with Patrick J Conway solicitor Tuam). Patrick J Conway was the bride's brother in law
Any help on this welcome