Author Topic: Enoch Davies of Ffynondydir - Llaen Rd - Rhyd Lewis - Llandysil  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Swni

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Enoch Davies of Ffynondydir - Llaen Rd - Rhyd Lewis - Llandysil
« on: Monday 09 August 04 18:02 BST (UK) »
We are trying to find out more about my GG Grandfather Enoch Davies who lived at Ffynondydir, Llaen Rd, Rhyd Lewis, Llandysil and according to the Glynarthen Congregational Chapel (Penbryn Parish) membership records, he and a Margaret Davies (maybe his wife we do not know)  were members of this chapel in 1872/73.  We know that by1878 he was living in Ebbw Vale and had remarried as his first wife had died of cholera along with two of their children Enoch and Margaret.

Does anyone have any information about him or his family?  We do not know who his parents were, who his wife was, who his other children were (we believe there were others from his first marriage) or why they left Ffynondydir? - we do know that the house was just left and that squatters eventually moved in and were still living there when my family visited there in the 1980s! 

Sue
GODDARD: Cwm, Ebbw Vale & Market Lavington
MORGAN: Cwm, Ebbw Vale; Forest of Dean
HEAD: Forest of Dean
MERRY: Forest of Dean
DAVIES:  Ffynondudur, Llaen Rd, RhydLewis, Llandysil, Cardigan
BARBER:  Leintwardine, Lugwardine, Hereford, Ledbury, Abbey Dore, Ewyas Harold, Pontrilas
GODWIN:  Tewksbury, Hereford
LEWIS:  Tipton Willey, Yonkin Farm
KERTON:  Pontlottyn, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale, Somerset
COLLARD (COLLAR):  Somerset, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale
TRACE:  Tredegar, Ebbw Vale,  Somerset

Offline Swni

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Enoch Davies of Ffynondydir (Ffynondudur)- Llaen Rd - Rhyd Lewis - Llandysil
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 04 08:22 BST (UK) »
Since writing the above I have found out some other information.  An older Enoch Davies (born 1797) was living at Ffynondydir (Ffynondudur) on the 1881 cencus with his Grand daughter Esther (born 1849).  These two are also found on the Glynarthen Chapel membership records of 1875 - 1881.  We do not know where the Margaret Davies went from the earlier 1872/3 chapel records - and now are unsure as to whether the Enoch Davies in the earlier chapel records was the older one or my GG Grandfather - the mystery deepens!  Also - there is no reference to any of them being members in the 1874 records of the chapel. 

Any help would be gratefully received.  Does anyone have a 1871 or earlier census of the area - their parish was Penbryn in Cardiganshire.

Sue
GODDARD: Cwm, Ebbw Vale & Market Lavington
MORGAN: Cwm, Ebbw Vale; Forest of Dean
HEAD: Forest of Dean
MERRY: Forest of Dean
DAVIES:  Ffynondudur, Llaen Rd, RhydLewis, Llandysil, Cardigan
BARBER:  Leintwardine, Lugwardine, Hereford, Ledbury, Abbey Dore, Ewyas Harold, Pontrilas
GODWIN:  Tewksbury, Hereford
LEWIS:  Tipton Willey, Yonkin Farm
KERTON:  Pontlottyn, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale, Somerset
COLLARD (COLLAR):  Somerset, Waunllwyd, Ebbw Vale
TRACE:  Tredegar, Ebbw Vale,  Somerset

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enoch Davies of Ffynondydir - Llaen Rd - Rhyd Lewis - Llandysil
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 05 13:26 BST (UK) »
The only Enoch DAVIES at Penbryn on the 1871 census is the older one, whose wife is Margaret b 1817 Penbryn.

Enoch is a farmer of 8 acres at the same house as 1881.  There are lots of other DAVIES families around - no surprise there!

Ref: RG10/5546 14 2

Will have a look elsewhere for your younger Enoch, but not too optimistic at this stage.

kind regards, Arranroots   ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 05 13:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1861 there are TWO "older" Enoch DAVIES!!

Will post both below for your interest:

RG9/4182 84 3

DAVIES Enoch H M 80 - almsman ag lab - Penbryn
DAVIES Eleanor W M 82 - almswoman - ditto
EVANS Hannah serv U 31 - housemaid - Blaenporth

Address: Blaencwm, Penbryn

RG94183 4 2

DAVIES Enoch H M 68 - farmer 6 acres - Penbryn
DAVIES Rachel W M 68 - ditto
DAVIES Esther gdau 10 - ditto

Address: Ffynondudur, Penbryn

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 05 13:50 BST (UK) »
There are possibilities on the 1861 census for Esther's father, but without further information I am not able to identify which would be yours.

Is Esther definitely you Enoch's daughter?  That would rule out a few Enochs as being too young to be her father.  How did you get back to Enoch in the first place?

Any extra info pelase post here and I will do my best to find him for you>

Incidentally, there doesn't seem to be an Enoch in Ebbw Vale.

Arranroots  ;)

Offline timmie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Doyou know if Enoch hada grandaughter called Olwen?

Jean.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean

Welcome!  :)

This was one of our earliest threads - started in 2004 - and the OP hasn't been online for a while. Hopefully they still have the same email address and will get notification of your reply.

I should just mention that we don't discuss the details of living people on Rootschat, to protect their privacy. It seems unlikely (depending on which Enoch you mean) but if Olwen is still around you should keep the details  to Personal Messages only, rather than posting on the boards. Thanks.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline ann1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 16 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I am not sure if I have replied to you i the past... Enoch Davies (elder) is my great grandfather. according to the census he married 3 times Rachel being one of them. they had 3 children John 1831. David 1833 and Enoch 1834. this was at farm Hedraws but he moved to ffynondydir some time His first wife Sara had a daughter Mary 1823 I know very little about her but she did have a child Esther in 1847. I do have the birth certificate no father was shown on this certificate. the 1851 census shows Esther living with Enoch and then his second wife Rachel as Grandaughter...  I have no records of what happened to Mary.. Esther continued living at Ffynondydir untill her death 1925. marrying Timothy Jones 1882-1885 they had one child a daughter Maria 1884 who is my Grandmother Enoch died 1885 a lot going on in Marias life then but she continued to live at Ffynondydir . she married David James Owen in 1908... my mother Elizabeth Jane Owen was born 1909.I am happy to help you with any further imformation I may have Sincerley Ann Orwin (nee Smith)
Smith charles Henry or henry charles of East Hagbourne married 1889 age 23 to Ada Andrews