Author Topic: Looking for Tweedies  (Read 16813 times)

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for Tweedies
« on: Monday 05 September 05 22:34 BST (UK) »
My husband's gt grandfather William Hindle was born:1813 in Oswaldtwistle Lancashire for some reason, probably work, he went to  live in Midlothian or Peebles not quite sure. He met a lady called Barbary Tweedie born:1824 and Married her in Stow Midlothian in 1845.. They had 5 children in Peebles, then came back to Oswaldtwistle where they had  5 more, my husband's grandfather being their last.
I was wondering how I could find out about  Barbary and her parents, brothers and sisters if any and grandparents etc Can anyone tell me what to do next. Thanks Theresa

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Tweedies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Theresa

I had a couple of credits left on Scotlands People & did a search for you - William Hindle married Barbara Tweedie at Stow on 20/12/1845 - GROS ref no: 699 00 0005 - you can buy the extract from the register on-line for £10 and it is posted out to you.  I searched for kids for them in Stow and Peebles on OPR and Statutory records from 1843 up to 1880 - no trace of kids on any permutations of both parents names.  But remember they may not be recorded on the OPR records if they were not Church of Scotland.  There was a family of Tweedies in Stow parish who were farmers - your Barbara may be related to them.  Another avenue you may wish to persue is through Scottish Borders Family History Society, based in Galashiels - although Stow was originally in Midlothian it is now covered by Borders area.

Proof that someone does occasionally read the Peeblesshire Board !

Sorry can't be of more help.

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
 ;D Thanks Osprey for that info I will buy the extract from the register on line. It's ok about the children I have names and dates of birth in my husbands  family bible.They must have left Scotland around 1854 because the rest of the children were all born in Oswaldtwistle Lancashire where Barbara's husband William came from. Thank you for using your credits on me, that's a lovely thing to do. According to the bible Barbara was born in; something-- hope Peebles can't read the writing as it is so small; and was married in Stow Midlothian I don't know how far apart they are, perhaps it was for the church for some reason. Anyway thanks again. Tess

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
Tess - your'e welcome - for info Peebles and Stow are about 1 hours drive apart in modern times - probably 1/2 day travel or more in 1840's.  Stow sits astride the A7 road between Galashiels and Edinburgh and Peebles is on the A72

best regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 14:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Thanks Osprey for that little bit of exra knowledge. Cheers, Tess

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 05 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tess

Just a thought - I pass thru Stow almost every day en-route to work - the parish church there is truly beautiful - if you wish I could stop on way home & take a digital photo & send on to you via PM.
Let me know if that is of interest to you.

Best regards

Osprey

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Osprey That would be lovely ;D ;D I am in need of a few more photos for my family tree, especially put next to the family who came from there.  Thanks again Tess

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 05 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Thindle,
It would be a lot cheaper for you, to hire the Parish records, from the Mormons, only $5 .Aus or where ever you are from, the equivilent. as against $25 Aus from Scotlandspeople.
Regards,
kenjo :D
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kenjo For that info. I live in England. Do you hire them from the Mormon's Family History Centres. That are near their churches?