Author Topic: GRANT/ CHARTERS  (Read 5614 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GRANT/ CHARTERS
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
If anyone has Grant and/ or Charters surname interests in and around Melrose, Hawick and Selkirk, please contact me as I have plenty of information I can share with you
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline tomk23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRANT/ CHARTERS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace a Duncan Grant and a Elizabeth Shearer , they were married in Dumfries in 1908. Dont know much about Grant just that he was a grocer and his father was a farm manager , not much to go on .
                                               thanks Tom

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think this is a different line to mine but if you got the marriage cert for Duncan Grant (from Scotlandspeople), it will give you the name of both of his parents meaning you should be able to then trace their marriage, etc.

Good Luck
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline tomk23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I have got the marriage certificate , but  that is not going to solve where they are now,
                     Thanks Tom

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just come over your message and like yourself I too am from the Grant Charters line.  I haven't got very far on this one but i'm from the John Grant and Jessie Charters line.

Pamela

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am from Grant and Charters line. I didn't get too much further back, just John and Jessie parents and some gravestones at Melrose.  Their son George was my gg grandfather.  What is your line? Anne

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne, Thanks for replying.  My line is from John and Jessie's son Thomas Grant he was my 2nd great grandfather.  I'm still in the process of trying to work back but keep getting side tracked along the way! I haven't been down to the gravestones in Melrose, wasn't sure if there would be any the family there.  Will definitely now make a point of planning a visit there soon  :)  Pamela

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if you go to Melrose Abbey and tell them you want to see Grant and Charters stones they should let you in for free! I have your Thomas dying in Edinburgh in 1919. I also have a copy of John s will in which he leaves my George his coal business and then revokes this in favour of his son in law and no mention of his two children from a previous marriage.  He was an alcoholic,!!

Offline pamelawilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne that's good to know.  I have Thomas and his own family up here in Edinburgh but cannot find a birth for his mother Jessie Charters, have you had any luck with finding one for her?  I will have to have a look at the wills and see if there is anything on there of interest.  I've come over a few Charters Grant trees on Ancestry with the same line as us.  Have you come over any photos of any of the family? I haven't as yet but hoping too.  Pamela