Author Topic: Allan McDonald of Nova Scotia  (Read 7028 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Allan McDonald of Nova Scotia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 06 05:15 GMT (UK) »
wow, J.J.,
I'll have to absorb all of this for a few days-had a full day today so just getting online at nearly 9:00 in the evening. just picking up your messages and haven't checked the websites you linked. I think I did a Wagner and Poland search in the 1901, but it's a blur now, so I will certainly double check it. I've seen the miner. Allan's wife was of an early California pioneer family, and I was researching her line in the same area.

Charles shows up in America first in Boston on his marriage date, Oct 4 1883. they met in Boston, from family stories, and you will recall in one of my earlier messages I noted that Annie had a sister in Boston? well, I think I forgot to mention that as far as I knew Annie had spent much of her early life in Boston. however, I can't check the city directories any more (I moved 800 miles from my sources to a place where there are almost no sources and now do all of my research via net and snail mail). she is not making a search of the census either. after their marriage Charles shows up on and off in the Boston and Chelsea city directories until his supposed death in 1893. he was a mariner, for how long is unknown. I have his work records for the period covered by the few letters of his that remain. he had an anurism to the right aorta in early 1893, and was released in an improved condition from the Naval hospital in Chelsea. later that year he died of the anurism and Annie applied for a death certificate for him, but did not file it. my cousin still has the form to fill out-which Annie never filled out. only what the physician filled out is there. I have no idea what could have possibly happened to Charles without a death certificate! how could he be buried without one? a death cert. is required to get a burial permit. he's frustratingly elusive. after Charles' death Annie removed to Chicago, which was not a good experience for her-she couldn't find work and Allan nearly died. so she sent him to Nova Scotia to recover. I was under the impression that it was with his McAuley cousins, but he isn't with them in the 1901 census.
there are several Charles Wagners in Boston, a couple with the middle initial of J. none of them appear to be him except for the ones recorded as mariners in the city directory, and of course his marriage record. I'm on the wrong coast of America to search the records, and for unknown reasons every volunteer I've contacted (around 4 so far) has not chosen to assist me to get a record or to find his burial-if there is one. I'm in Oregon, and the east coast is inaccesable to me at this time.
after a short time in Chicago, Annie moved on to Omaha, Nebraska where she met and married Paul Gillette. they had Allan return to them, and then  removed to Oakland, California. it isn't until 1910 that Annie is in California, and Charles never gets there.
well, that's enough, for now...more that I usually send out and not that well organized as I am rather tired.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline chenwil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Neko:

If you get a chance, and wish to, if you give me a list of what you want checked and what you have checked here in Nova Scotia, I could take a trip to the National Archives here in Halifax and see what they have.   I'm not sure how extensive their records are (I've never needed to go) but would give it a shot. I have a Monday off every 3 weeks and could head over then. 

As the relationship between Halifax & Boston is quite longstanding, there may be some records of ship travel between them.  However, immigration/emmigration records tended to be rather scarce due to Canada still being a "colony".  Scottish heritage is a big thing here to this day and so am hopeful something should show up and am assuming Cape Breton records would be here. 

I'm still new to this researching myself so it might take me some time and I expect that anyone using Mc was often written as Mac which is more dominately used now.

PM me if you wish.

take care,

Cheryl
(Dartmouth, NS)
Seymour: Wales, England, Canada
Wilkinson: England
wilkinson-seymour:  anywhere
Gray/Yeates: Ireland
Bonehill: England
Adams: Blakeney, Tipton, B'ham

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 06 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Did you check out the Sarah in the 1901, living in Ontario -age 78?
( although the spelling of Sarah on the actual document is suspect...)
Scrawling letterstyle this census taker had...

Better yet, in cape breton...born 1826 as mother to a Donald, born right time...
MacDonald Sarah  Mother W Sep  18  1826 age 74
-District:   NS CAPE BRETON (#28)
Subdistrict:   Catalone G Page 6
but I see you have Donald as dying young so that dashes that...

and I thought I'd sent you this link, but I hadn't http://groups.msn.com/WonderinboutGenealogy/surnamesvtoz.msnw
http://feefhs.org/igs/wgcr/fil/fil-w.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
JJ & Cheryl,
thank you for looking these up,  J.J. I'll spend some time this morning looking over all the links before I go out to run some errands.

the Wonderin' link went to the w's, where I have a post both for Charles Wagner and for my Wyruck/Weyrauch ancestors.

in the future, if you find anything with fenenga in the eddress, that's me. I've been online since...1997 or a bit earlier, and I've posted alot of surname interests and queries.

Cheryl,
thank you very much for your offer. I truly appreciate it.
I haven't succeeded in finding much on the family, but here is what I have and know and what I don't have and don't know.

Allan McDonald
b. abt 1812 of Benbecula, Scotland
d. 16 Mar 1871 Port Morein (Cow Bay), N.S.
m. in N.S.
Sarah McPhail
b. abt 1824 Harris, Scotland
d. 13 Sep 1907 assume N.S. though maybe U.S.?

Allan was the son of Archibald McDonald and Margaret ________ of Port Morein/Cow Bay
Sarah was the daughter of Donald McPhail and Mary McAskill of River Dennis and?

Allan and Sarah's children were (not in b. order, which is unknown to me)
Margaret b. unk-she may have m. Donald MacVicar
Mary b. Jul 1847 River Dennis m. Alex McAuley
Archie b. unk.
Allan b. unk. died in explosion on Sydney Mines dock
John b. unk.
Donald b. abt 1857 d. 18 Jul 1869 Port Morein/Cow Bay
Annie b. 15 Jun 1858 Whycocomagh m. Charles Wagner, Boston
James b. unk
Kate b. unk-to Boston?

I have Allan's death record and photos of Allan and Sarah's obolisk tombstone which is in Black Brook, Nova Scotia. I also have Annie's m. record and death record, and an 1881 census record for Mary and her family..and one for 1818 that appears to be Archibald's. that is all I have, record wise. oh, and a crofter's census in Balivaiphail, Scotland has the only Archibald McDonald in the right area with McPhails.

Sarah died the year before official records started, but I wonder if there is a death record for her, anyway.

I wonder if Archibald and Margaret have death records. I think they were alive when Allan died,  so they may have died after 1871. I also wonder if there is a will for Archibald.

Annie was born during a no-record period. it would be fantastic to find a family bible, but I don't have my hopes up.

I would love to know if Allan McDonald left a will. I've seen an index to wills, many years ago, and there were a few possible Allan's in it, but I don't have access to that now.

I think the family was Presbytarian.

I can't think of anything else right now.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »
J.J. has notified me that I accidently wrote Allan Wagner down when I meant Allan McDonald. I hope this note clears up that mistake for anyone reading this thread.
my slip up is because Annie's son was Allan Wagner.