Author Topic: Reid/Harcus or Hercus, Hillside Croft, Shapinsay  (Read 7805 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Reid/Harcus or Hercus, Hillside Croft, Shapinsay
« on: Friday 09 September 05 12:51 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out more about John Harcus Reid born about 1860, to William Reid and Jessie Harcus or Hercus. I believe they farmed on a croft at Hillside, Shapinshay. Believe John Harcus Reid moved at some point to Aberdeen and became a Farm Labourer and then a Cartwright's Painter, married to an Elizabeth Wood of Belhelvie. It's quite difficult to track Reid's and Harcus's in Orkney as there are so many! Also can someone tell me if Jessie is short for, or is an alternative name for Janet?? I have noticed quite a few children of William Reid and Jessie Harcus on the IGI. If there are any Reid/Harcus experts out there, please get in touch!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Reid/Harcus or Hercus, Hillside Croft, Shapinsay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
If you are interested, I've found a "Hillside" on my ordnance survey map of Shapinsay.  These old croft houses have kept the same names for generations, so it is fairly possible that this is where your ancestors lived, although there may be another house of the same name on Shapinsay that I didn't spot.  The map reference is:  Explorer map 461 (Orkney, East Mainland...) grid ref 533202 or thereabouts.

I also found the location (though not named) on www.multimap.com  - I'm not technical enough to be able to make that a proper link that takes you directly to the map, but here are the instructions to get to it:  go to the website, click on the UK bit, then under "town" type in Edmonstone (watch the spelling) and in the postcode type KW17.  Click go and you should come up with a map of the northeastern tip of Shapinsay.  Zoom in a bit further (to 1:25000) onto Edmonstone and Hillside is in this bit of the map.  Its not named on the map, but is marked as three little squares - about half way between Edmonstone and Geostane. 

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 05 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to send me the info on 'Hillside". I haven't seen any other references to it, only on Census information I have from Scotland's People. I will check out your instructions – thanks again!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 05 10:05 BST (UK) »
IGI gives JOHN HERCUS REID; Male; Birth:  26 FEB 1859 Shapinsay, Orkney, Scotland
Parents: Father:  WILLIAM REID  Mother:  JESSIE HERCUS

Jessie and Janet can be regarded as interchangeable.

The LDS 1881 CDs can be searched on the basis of specifying age and place of birth.  Such a search in this instance very quickly produces:

Dwelling:   Auchmull
   Census Place:   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203491     GRO Ref    Volume 285    EnumDist 5    Page 1
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
James LINDSAY   U   38    M   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Farmer Of 100 Acres Arable Hill Pasture For 600 Sheep
Betsay LINDSAY   W   75    F   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Mother
   Occ:   Farmers Mother
Mary LINDSAY   U   47    F   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Sister
   Occ:   Farmers Sister
Jane LINDSAY   U   45    F   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Sister
   Occ:   Farmers Sister
John LINDSAY   U   43    M   Edzell, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Brother
   Occ:   Farmers Brother
John REID   U   22    M   Shipinshay, Orkney, Scotland
   Rel:   Serv
   Occ:   Farm Sev
James LOW   U   26    M   Montrose, Forfar, Scotland
   Rel:   Serv
   Occ:   Farm Serv

A bit further south than Aberdeen, but he may well have ended up in Edzell via Aberdeen.  The marriage to Elizabeth was in 1882, and can be viewed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.   (pay-per-view)

ibi

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the recent 1881 Census information. I had done a search myself and had narrowed it down to a possible 6 or so John Reids, one of whom was in Edzell, but I discounted him and hadn’t yet checked on the rest. The fact his place of birth was Shapinshay almost certainly makes it him.
In 1882 I have his marriage certificate to Elizabeth Wood of Hill of Keir, Belhelvie on 9 June 1882. At that time John Harcus Reid’s occupation and address were given as “Farm Servant, Milltimber, Peterculter” which maybe suggests he was making his way back up to Aberdeen from further south.
On that marriage certificate his parents names are given as William Reid, Fisherman, and Jessie Reid m.s. Harcus. On his death certificate however, his parents are listed as William Reid, line fisherman and Jessie Reid m.s. HEDDLE. Any explanations gratefully received. Could it be a mistake, as I have no evidence of another marriage.

Also, regarding the earlier help I had with the location of Hillside, the death certificate of William Reid (John Harcus Reid’s father) was signed by John Heddle, neighbour, Cascald, Shapinsay – which I could see on the map! So thanks again for all your help so far!

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
ED2005

I wouldn't be concerned in the least about the mother's maiden name of the death register entry.  Coincidentally I came across the surname H[A/E]RCUS, a few days ago, and there were a range of variants, not helped by some difficult handwriting.

In this case, without seeing the actual image it's difficult to know if handwriting has played a role, or, more likely, I suspect, the informant got it wrong.

ibi

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
HEDDLE is another common Orkney surname.  Is it possible that either HEDDLE or HARCUS is the maiden name and the other is a previous married name (ie, the marriage you have is her second.  If this is so, then it should describe her as a widow on the marriage cert you have rather than spinster.  Or the other possibility is that she is one surname and it is her mother who is the other, and somehow it got confused by the relative giving the details for the certificate.  Having just looked back at previous posts and seeing John HEDDLE as a neighbour, then I think it highly likely you will find a HEDDLE somewhere in your line, possibly the sister or aunt of the neigbour. 
Its great looking at the old maps of Orkney and seeing all the old houses marked on them by name.  Finding the neighbours house (Cascald) on the same bit of map really does affirm that this is the right Hillside.  If you ever get up here for a visit, I'm sure you will enjoy looking round.  You'll almost certainly come across someone who is related to you, even if it is a bit distant!  Check out the Orcadian newspaper website (www.orcadian.co.uk,  I think).  They have a bookshop with a lot of local history books and I think you can order online.  There is one about the surnames of Orkney, and there are bound to be books relating to Shapinsay as well.

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Here are the earlier Shapinsay Census for Hillside

William Reid    Head   29   Farmer 30 acres      Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Wife     33                                  Born - Westray
William Reid   Son        7                                   Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Daug     5                                  Born - Eday
John H Reid    Son       2
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
opps pressed the wrong button....

Here are the earlier Shapinsay Census for Hillside

1861 Census

William Reid    Head   29   Farmer 30 acres      Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Wife     33                                  Born - Westray
William Reid   Son        7                                  Born - Eday
Jessie Reid     Daug     5                                  Born - Eday
John H Reid    Son       2                                  Born - Shapinsay

1871 Census

Jessie Reid    Head       44   Widow Farmer of 25 acres               Born - Eday
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk