Author Topic: Industrial Schools  (Read 5789 times)

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Industrial Schools
« on: Monday 12 September 05 20:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there were any industrial schools in Kildare in the 1920's and 30's in particular a Christian Brother School, as this may narrow my search down a little.

Many thanks

Michelle

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Michelle,

Here's a list of Industrial Schools in Ireland. There is not an Industrial School shown in Co. Kildare. I have come across a site showing the timeline of the Industrial Schools in Ireland. It mentions the abuse and rough treatment received by the children in such places. Paddy Doyle, the author of The God Squad, was in one of the Schools himself. Industrial Schools were abolished in the UK in 1933 but it was not until 35 or 36 years later that most of the Schools in Ireland closed.

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial Schools
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Michelle,

Do you require more information ???

Chris

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
hi,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

My nan spoke of being in a school which sounds very much like an Industrial School.

I know when they left Ireland they were in Dublin, but I didn't know if the schools were in Kildare or Dublin.

I was hoping that I may be able to find out what date she entered the school as it might tell me when her mother died, as I came to Dublin in October to search the records for her mother's death but couldn't find a record anywhere, but my nan said she died when she was a little girl.

I was looking at another thread and you had posted an address  for the Dept of Education and Science and I was going to write to them to see if they can help me.

Thanks

Michelle

Offline SevenThree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 06 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michelle,

Found your post then went on to read Christopher's post about census abstracts for Kildare. 

Bingo - this link will take you to correct page, then scroll down to Monasterevan - Dublin Street, Line No 20 and 21:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~baillargeon/monasterevancensus/page3.htm

Christian Brothers School and the Convent National School.

Hope that will help you in your search

7/3
Tyrone/Dungannon: Sally, McSherry, Fitzgerald
Lanark/Coatbridge: Sally, McSherry, Fitzgerald
Kildare/Newbridge: Barnes/Barden, Carroll, Cummins, Doyle, Keefe, Mulqueeny, Norton

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 06 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings SevenThree,

Welcome to RootsChat.

That link was well spotted.

Chris

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 07 01:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there were any industrial schools in Kildare in the 1920's and 30's in particular a Christian Brother School, as this may narrow my search down a little.

Many thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Have you thought of contacting Origins. They're the Barnardos family tracing and information service which is specifically for people who spent part of their childhood in residential institutions. However I imagine that they would be able to tell you about industrial schools in Kildare in the 1920's and 30's.

Christopher

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 October 07 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks very much, I will contact them. I haven't been able to do any work on family history for a while now due to family illness and have just started again but I am no more forward than I was a year ago.

Still looking for my elusive ggandmother who just seems to have vanished off the earth, but I  now have a photo of her (well, we believe it is her).

I am hoping to return to Ireland next year which might help me but I will get there in the end.

Michelle

Offline trouperstansgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle
I am also trying to trace where my late mother was. I have been at it for over twenty years. Kildare is unlikely to be the place because there wasn't a school there. However, there was St. Patricks Convent which could be worth a try. Generally, girls were sent to nuns along with infant age boys so I doubt that your nan would have been with the Christian Brothers.
The HSE in Dublin are obliged under the Freedom of Information Act to release info to relatives with regard to Ind. School Detentions. They give the sketchiest of info and want lots of proof from yourself before they release it. However, I do think they are your best place to start.
Children were deliberately sent to the other side of the country as it was thought it best for them to have a clean break from their relatives whatever the circumstances. Also, the Schools asked the authorities to send them children when they had spaces as they received funding per head of children. So there was no sensitivity or logic displayed with regard to distances of placements.
My mum first turns up in the courts age six in 1936 charged with begging. She is committed for ten years but actually serves twelve. No one appears in Court for her and the address she supposedly lives at has denied having her there. Mum could not remember anything before "School" and we never knew who she was or who her family were. No birth records at all. So where did she come from? Snatched from the street to make up the numbers perhaps?
Let me know if you find anything, need any help or have any questions.
Kind regards
Dee