Author Topic: Mystery objects 2  (Read 688 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mystery objects 2
« on: Monday 12 September 05 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here are 2 more. 2 more to come.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery objects 2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
jane i think its a piece of trench art,its a lighter,i think,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 07:01 BST (UK) »
It was hard to take a picture of. It looks like a brass nut and possibly the fancy bits  in the middle are buttons off a uniform. I may get a better photo in daylight. It is some sort of lighter. Would the buttons help date it and give a regiment?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
hiya jane,it is what you say,its a nut and buttons made into a lighter,the buttons will possibly give an era,trench art is a term used for trinkets made by soldiers during ww1,but this sort of stuff was made in the napoleonic wars by prisoners of war,but i think this is more likely to be ww1,to call it art is a understatement,if you consider that a humble soldier has taken a couple of buttons and a nut and come up with a beautiful trinket like that is a work of art,there are books on the market that cover this sort of thing,some of the things they made will amaze you,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.