Author Topic: Scott and Dack  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Scott and Dack
« on: Tuesday 13 September 05 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,
For several years I have been trying to connect my mother's Dack family from Norfolk in with a Scott family from Norfolk with no luck.  Reason: on the 1881 census when the Dacks were in Deptford London they had a nephew living with them called James Scott.  Robert Dack was born in Booten and Emma was born in Thurgarton.  They married in Norwich, had a couple of children before moving to Newcastle, a few more children, and from there to London where 2 more were born.  Is anyone able to help me make this connection? This is the only reference that I have.

Vicki

1881 census from familysearch Mormons
Dwelling:   3 Pender St
   Census Place:   Deptford St Nicholas, Kent, England
   Source:   FHL Film 1341167     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 0718    Folio 44    Page 15
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Robert DACK   M   43    M   Norfolk, England
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Carman
Emma DACK   M   44    F   Norfolk, England
   Rel:   Wife
Ellen DACK       14    F   Northumberland, England
   Rel:   Daur
Julia DACK       11    F   Northumberland, England
   Occ:   Scholar
James DACK       7    M   Northumberland, England
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Scholar
Lilly DACK       2    F   Northumberland, England
James SCOTT       27    M   Norfolk, England
   Rel:   Nephew
   Occ:   Carpenter And Joiner
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott and Dack
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

Maybe total red herring, but checked the 1901 Census:
Searching for James SCOTT age abt 47, born Norfolk, Carpenter/ Joiner.

Searched: All James SCOTT with "Carpenter" or "Carp" starting occupation.
Anywhere near right age, there were a couple of  42 yr olds born london and residing in London, - and there was this one which jumped out:
RG13/276 ED14, Folio 21, Page 33
James Scott age  50
Born London Deptford
Census: London Shoreditch
He was living with his wife Louisa, age 40, born Plymouth Devon.

And there was this one only, of anywhere around right age born Norfolk but he seems too old, unless an age mistranscribed:
RG13/1845, ED 28, Folio 157, Page 15
James Scott  59
Born Norfolk Helhoughton
Census: Norfolk Norwich , West Wymer
With his family:
Emma Scott 57  Helhoughton, Norfolk, England Wife 
Lily Scott 23Norwich Daughter
Edmund Scott 21 Norwich Son
Horace J Scott 17Norwich Son

Searching for all James SCOTT with occupation starting "Join"
Not one remotely matching  or looking likely.

And searching all James SCOTT with key word "Norfolk" (birth or residence is returned in results) - gave no other more likely than the above.

It is possible the 1881 man was not born Norfolk - an error could have been made. It is also possible his age could be different between the 2 1881 & 1901

Also perhaps James SCOTT was not technically Robert DACK's nephew -  the relationship should be to the Head of the House according to the Census rules, but I have seen numerous instances where the relationship is to the wife (for example a "mother" is actually the "mother-in-law" - so he could be Emma's relation.

What was Emma's maiden name and do you know the names of hers & Robert's siblings?

And again, perhaps the "nephew" is not quite as we expect - with women giving birth to children from teenage to well into their 40's is it at all possible James is a grand-nephew? That is, Robert (or Emma) is the much younger sibling of James' grandparent?

And of course maybe James wasn't in England in 1901  :P

Just a few thoughts!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly,
Many thanks for the efforts you have made on my behalf.  How do you get all the folio details without having to download teh images from the 1901?  Presumably you have it on disc.  Thank you for looking.  Someone kindly sent me the 1891 for the Dack family in Deptford and James Scott was not with them then.
Emma's maiden name was Allen and she was born in Thurgarton Norfolk, dau of William Allen and Sarah Lines.  Her siblings were Mary chr1834 Elijah 1840-1913 and Christiana chr1842.  Elijah marr Emma Robinia Jones of Alby Norfolk after he moved to London, but I have not been able to find anything further of the 2 sisters although Christiana was with her widowed father in Thurgarton in 1851.  He was also a carpenter.  It is possible that Christiana or Mary married a Scott but I cannot find a marriage or a death.
Robert was son of James Dack and Mary Baxter and his  siblings were Sarah 1825 m James Howard; John 1827 - 1828; Emma 1830 - 1835 ;Phoebe 1833 - 1873 never married but had illegitimate child James living in Newcastle in 1901; Robert 1834 - 1834; Emma 1836 - 1837; John 1840 -1881 mr Mary Ann Parker; James 1842-1842, so no joy there.  Regarding Robert and Emma's 9 children:- all bar one (Emma Elizabeth Dack 1861) have been accounted for with marriages.  The 1871 census in Newcastle was the last sighting of Emma.  She was not with the family in 1881.  However, I do not think that James Scott was a son of any of Robert and Emma's children.  He would have been too old. My best bet seems to be with Emma's sisters, but no marriages or deaths to eliminate them  have been found.  Any help in that direction gratefully received.
Thanks again.
Vicki
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline mazza68

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
More out of interest than assistance I'm afraid. I am a descendent of the Dacks from Briston in Norfolk - Catherine Elizabeth Woods Dack was my great grandmother and moved with her family to Newcastle where she married a coal miner - settling in Seatonburn. Do you happen to have come across any relationship with your Dack's and those from Briston and Wood Dalling?

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Mazza,
That line seems to be distinct from mine who came from around Hevingham. A lot of Dack families from all over Norfolk were recruited by the mine scouts and others and moved North. As did mine and then back south to London.
As far as I am aware no one researcher has managed to link all three distinct Dack ancestrys together.
Regards
Vic

Offline Chilli79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Oh I got so excited for a moment as I’ve never found anyone researching the same tree as me. My Great-Great-Grandmother was a Dack from Hevingham who married a Scott and I know they did live in London at some point but the dates don’t match. I can see this post is years old so I hope you’ve solved it now?