Author Topic: Sarah ann Denton  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sarah ann Denton
« on: Tuesday 13 September 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
I have tried this query before with no luck,ever the optimist I thought I would give it one more try.
I am searching for the death date of my great grandmother Sarah Ann Denton,she was born in Bedford in 1863,her single name was Sarah Dorrington,she died as the result of an accident with a runaway horse and cart in the early 1900s,she was alive on the 1901 census,apparently one of her sons Rowland Denton was injured in the same accident,he is reputed to have died as a young man because of the injuries he recieved at the time,as he was 15 years old on the 1901 census,I am guessing that the accident and my ggrandmothers death happened between 1901+1916,I have tried free Bmd and have had no luck,I am wondering if there is anyone with the death index for Bedford who would be kind enough to do a look up for me,I would be really grateful,Thank you for your interest ,Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah ann Denton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Good evening Bethan

let's put an end to your quest

a quick search on www.familyrelatives.org found me a Sarah A Denton who has death index Bedford vol 3b page 319 in qtr 2 (June) 1919
Age at death 57 = 1862

On same site found death index of Rowland Denton
death index Bedford vol 3b page 336 in qtr 4 (Dec) 1913
Age at death 27 = 1886

good luck, regards John  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 21:13 BST (UK) »
Dear John,Thank you so much for your help,you are a gem.
I believe that you have found the correct people,I have been searching for them for two years,I will now be able to look for my ggrandmothers accident report in the newspapers,I know that there was one printed,as my mother can recall reading it as a child.
Thank you again,Best wishes,Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
Pleased to help Bethan

If the accident happened in Bedford(shire) & the report was in the Beds Times; note that the Bedford Central Library has copies, most likely on microfiche, for the years concerned.

regards John

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot John,I hope to visit Bedford next year as I still have relations there,I will call into the library and check out the dates,I was in Bedford at the beginning of the yearand although I found the staff at the library very helpful I was unable to find anything as I did not have a clue about the dates,Thank you again for all your help,Bethan

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 05 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethan
Do you want me to have a look in the library for you? I live only a few miles from Bedford and have to go into the library in about a week to take some books back and I'd be happy to try and find what you're looking for.  Perhaps it would save you waiting a year.
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 05 18:55 BST (UK) »
Donna,That would be really kind of you,as long as it does not put you to any trouble.
I have been told that it was my ggrandfather who was driving the horse+cart,his occupation was a groom,and also that there was alcohol involved,his name was Hugh Denton.
Also family legend has it that my ggrandmother was killed in the accident+her son Rowland was crippled and died as a   young man because of the injuries he recieved,if you look at the dates that John kindly sent me you will see that the facts appear to be  different,as my ggrandmother seems to have outlived Rowland by a number of years!
If you could check the Bedford Times for the last week of April+and the first week of June 1919 I would be really grateful,Thank you so much for your interest,Regards Bethan

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethan
No trouble at all to have a look for you.  Is there anything else you want checking whilst I'm at it?  As well as the newspaper archives the library also has all the census years for Bedfordshire, plus transcribed parish records for most areas covering a fair span of years up to about 1812.
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Donna,Thank you for the kind offer,at the moment I cannot think of anything else,I am just very grateful that you will be checking the newspapers for me,Regards Bethan