Author Topic: Hunslet 1861 1871 look-up please  (Read 1569 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hunslet 1861 1871 look-up please
« on: Thursday 12 August 04 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for a THOMAS DAY age over 23, born ?, blacksmith, with wife SARAH age 23, born Bedford, at 48 Turkey Street, Hunslet in 1861.
They had a son, GEORGE WILLIAM born at that address in 1865 if they are still there in the 1871 census.
Sarah & George in 1881 are in Barrow, Lancs, but Thomas has died.  Need to find him in a census to trace his birthplace. Hoping this may be my lucky 'Day'
Many thanks, TonyR
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Hunslet 1861 1871 look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 04 23:47 BST (UK) »
I've checked and double checked the 1861 census and no48 is'nt listed.  It only goes up to 39
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 04 01:38 BST (UK) »
Someone once told me that the number in the census is not always the actual house number but reflects how many dwellings the enumerator had visited in the street at that point.  In this case it may have been the 48th dwelling the enumerator visited in Turkey street rather than number 48 Turkey Street.  It certainly appears to be so with some of my Essex ancestors. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 04 02:01 BST (UK) »
I checked the whole of Turkey st several times and also several streets before and after.  There was no Day listed at all.  It could be that the enumerator had missed some out. 

I even got hubby to check through with me, in case i had missed it.

I also looked to see if there was a Turnkey Street but there was'nt.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 04 02:18 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the family moved into Turkey Street after the 1861 census was taken, a number of my ancestors moved out of a place after a census and then back before the next.  It was only by luck I stumbled on baptisms in another place otherwise I would have assumed they were permantly in one village.  It seems our ancestors got up to all sorts of tricks to confuse us  ;D
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 August 04 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Fitty & Findem, thanks both for your time and help.  My Thomas Day is tough going, cannot find his birth, death, or any census stuff on him.  Do you think he is hiding for a reason?  Regards TonyR
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.