Author Topic: Baptism Charles Marchant 1801/2  (Read 1673 times)

Offline flavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism Charles Marchant 1801/2
« on: Monday 19 September 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with my problem?  My ancestor Charles Marchant states in all the available census records that he was born in Hythe, Kent about 1801-2. I believe that he was the son of James Marchant,who married a Rebecca.  They must have moved back to Alfriston in Sussex soon after Charles' birth, as further children were born there.  I have not found a marriage for James and Rebecca which may also have taken place in Kent.
I would appreciate any help on this one.
Regards
Flavia

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Charles Marchant 1801/2
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 05 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flavia

http://www.familysearch.org now has some Hythe baptisms pre 1812 - a Mary Ann 1802 but no Charles ???

There was a lot of movement around Hythe at that time and a high military presence due to the building of the Royal Military Canal and the Martello Towers in preparation for a Napoleonic invasion which may account for their presence in the area at that time.

Do you have anything to verify that your Charles may have been the son of James and Rebecca or is it just suspicion at this stage?

I have looked at the 1851 census for James and Rebecca and it would appear that Rebecca was born in Cambridge so I wonder if you have considered the 1795 marriage between a James MARCHANT and Rebecca DENNISS in Suffolk - bachelor and spinster married by license according to Pallots index?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Charles Marchant 1801/2
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 December 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Casalguidi,
Thanks for your help. Someone did give me details of Mary Ann, whose parents were a James and Rebecca Marchant, but I have not found any further trace of her and believe she may have died.  I guessed the reason for the movement of the Marchants was probably connected with the Napoleonic wars in some way.
Frustratingly, I cannot find definite proof that James was the father of Charles, but on James' death certificate, Jane Marchant (wife of Charles) was shown as present at the death and the family Christian names seemed to be used for the children.  I did find the marriage in Suffolk, but again no definite proof, though it certainly seems likely.  I also wondered if they may have had a settlement order as they may have been dependent on the parish, but I have yet to look into this.  If they were travelling about, Charles may just not have been baptised.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Best wishes,
Flavia